The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with Relatives WW1 Navy Service Record

shiro94

I spent a few hours trying to research what some of the terms mean on this document, but I can't make heads or tails of some of it. 

Some questions I have:

What is the reason for discharge? Does that mean he requested it?

The last rank was 'Joiner IV (N5)' I think, what's the meaning of IV(N5)? 

What do the remarks mean?

What's the general meaning of the ability section? 

What is the meaning of all the stamps below, like "War Gratuity by no.108", "WAP CRAZ P__" and "RR" ?

If there's anything interesting about this record that I didn't realise, please let me know. 

43343_1052_0-00182.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Please can you acknowledge the source of the document as per forum rules? Thank you. 

9 hours ago, shiro94 said:

The last rank was 'Joiner IV (N5)' I think, what's the meaning of IV(N5)? 

What do the remarks mean? His re-rating as a Joiner 4th Class was under the provisions of Admiralty Weekly Order AWO)  3305/18.

What's the general meaning of the ability section? 

What is the meaning of all the stamps below, like "War Gratuity by no.108", "WAP CRAZ P__" and "RR" ?

He was rated Joiner 4th Class under the New System (NS) of ratings and pay introduced during WW1. Previously he would have been a plain "joiner" and paid by the number of years in that rating, e.g. Joiner Over 3 Years.

The Remarks are of little import.

Ability = Efficiency in the rating held.  Recorded as Superior (Supr) = above average; Satisfactory (Sat) = average;  Moderate (Mod) = less than average;  Inferior (Inf) = inefficient in rating.

The last (smudged) stamp should read "WAR GRATUITY PAID".  His War Gratuity was first "traced" for eligibility and then "paid".

Edited by horatio2

6 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. Please can you acknowledge the source of the document as per forum rules? Thank you. 

Thank you. And no problem! They're from my own paid-for account on ancestry.