The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Casualty figures per division sought

WilliamRev

I am looking for a list/table of casualty figures for each division (it is the regular divisions in 1914 and 1915 that I am most interested in), if possible monthly, but even annual figures would be of use as long as they are per division. The Official History Vols 1 & 2 have some for the week of Mons and Le Cateau, and then again for October-December 1914 which is a start - perhaps there are more in the OH that I have not yet spotted?

This is proving a much harder task than I had anticipated, and any help and thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks, William

• Admin

I had a look at Statistics of the Military Effort...  but it doesn't break the figures down to Divisional level.

However a quick look at newspapers suggest there is some hope - just need to find the right publication. This is from Leven Advertiser & Wemyss Gazette 2 January 1919 (courtesy FMP)

image.png 

• Admin

Mr Bonar-Law is quoted in an extract I saw as having given a written answer in Parliament (regarding Naval casualties) so a search of |Hansard might also prove useful?

Thanks! Yes I too headed straight for Statistic of the ME - you'd think that in the many hundreds of pages there would be some sort of casualty breakdown per division. I will see what Hansard comes up with - might be an interesting search in any case.

William

23 August              24 August              26 August

Cavalry Division                  6                            252                          5
First Division                       9                              42                           -
Second Division                 35                             59                           -
Third Division                  1,185                          557                     1,796
Fourth Division                    -                               -                        3,158
Fifth Division                      386                         1,656                    2,631
19 Brigade                           17                             40                        477

The above numbers are from Brigadier Colin R. Ballard's (e)book "Smith-Dorrien", Pickle Partners Publishing, 2015.
Originally published in 1931 under the same title.
Total casualties only, not broken down by killed, wounded, missing.

Dave

You might get something in the WDs of the Divisional Adjutant and Quarter-Master Generals of the above Divisions.

Brian

I transcribed this from the war diary of Fourth Division's Adj. & Q.M.G. files several years ago. I've not found another like it for any other early (Mons, Le Cateau) division. Not the last word by any means, but I have downloaded all the quarter-master files for the first seven divisions without finding something similar.

4th Division Casualties as of 5 Sept., 1914.pdf