The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sanitätshunds (And their handlers)

PouncePeruses

Hello! I am new to the use of forums (in any aspect) so my apologies if this is improper procedure or place.

I've been long interested in Sanitätshunds/Mercy dogs and am always on the hunt for more information/sources surrounding them (and the German Medical Service as a whole, please drop any recommendations for basic research/reading!)

I've read through Richardsons' British War Dogs as well as Jager's Scout, Red Cross, and Army Dogs along with many other various online sources. I've really struggled with finding German sources/information on German dogs (could be due to the fact that I am an American and my first and only language is English...). I've tried to find a way to access the annual reports of the German Medical Dog Associate with little luck. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Regardless!: I've read recently that Sanitatshund handlers were volunteers through the medical service and this has quickly made me realize I know nothing of how the medical service was organized (or if this fact is even true), but especially the selection of sanitatshund handlers. Are these handlers medically trained, and if so, to what degree? Or do they merely accompany other medical support while their responsibility is limited to their dog? Is it typical for them to be armed, as seen in the second photo?

This is all a long-winded way of saying can anyone tell me anything about this topic, but, more specifically, about these photos? And if you can, please share any and all knowledge you have on the subject or good places to go digging for more info!

Thanks all! Sorry for the ramble!

image.png.7c7d5a1f0e86f8ee4fe2efd2406125e8.pngimage.png.61dc99fd9278e9d214ec9dda446acd7e.png

12 hours ago, PouncePeruses said:

first and only language is English

Which puts you at a bit of a disadvantage :)

attached are the pages from the „Sanitätsbericht über das deutsche Heer im Weltkriege“ which relate to the Sanitätshunde. Perhaps you have a friend who can translate it for you.

Charlie

IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

IMG_5802.jpeg

IMG_5803.jpeg

IMG_5804.jpeg

If you have the time and the patience Google Translate can assist !!! 

5 minutes ago, adrian 1008 said:

Google Translate can assist !!! 

Non of the online translator programmes do particularly well with Fraktur, but at the end of the day its better than nothing.

4 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Which puts you at a bit of a disadvantage :)

attached are the pages from the „Sanitätsbericht über das deutsche Heer im Weltkriege“ which relate to the Sanitätshunde. Perhaps you have a friend who can translate it for you.

Charlie

IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

IMG_5802.jpeg

IMG_5803.jpeg

IMG_5804.jpeg

Hey! I do have a few friend who are fluent in German, so this is a HUGE help! Thank you so much! :D Very excited to read!

15 minutes ago, PouncePeruses said:

! I do have a few friend who are fluent in German

If they are still friends with you after translating the pages about the Sanitätshunde, you might want to test their friendship with the wartime medical regulations :)

https://portal.dnb.de/bookviewer/view/1035348098#page/n3/mode/1up
Charlie

11 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

If they are still friends with you after translating the pages about the Sanitätshunde, you might want to test their friendship with the wartime medical regulations :)

Charlie

haha I will! Keep them coming! I have 3 friends in mind, I can always bounce from one to the next XD Thank you again for this! Very excited to dig in

8 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Charlie

Do you have the same problem as I? Many pages can't be loaded when I try to look at the book.

20 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Do you have the same problem as I? Many pages can't be loaded when I try to look at the book.

I do today, yesterday everything loaded correctly.

Charlie

46 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

I do today, yesterday everything loaded correctly.

Charlie

Thanks for your answer, I'll check later again then.

Jan

good morning,

I may be off topic but what is the equipment of a German stretcher-bearer in 1914 - 1915?

Thank you.

Kind regards

michel

2 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

good morning,

I may be off topic but what is the equipment of a German stretcher-bearer in 1914 - 1915?

Thank you.

Kind regards

michel

If you are really interested in this, I can recommend the book: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-662-34592-4

Jan

good morning,

thank's for the link.

michel