The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The fallen of Tredegar

ellen jones

Hi I am a training primary school teacher in White Rose ew Tredegar and i am doing a research project on local men who became heroes in the war. I have been researching Thomas Lewis DCM and would like to know if any one has any information or stories regarding local men from this area in the World Wars. I noticed from looking at threads that there were a few in Tredegar but dont know where to start. Any help wuld be appreciated and if any one has stories that i can relay to the children

• Admin

I suggest the first place to start would be local newspapers and the local war memorial

e.g. http://www.nelson-ww1-memorial.org.uk/html/tredegar_memorial.html

You can then go deeper with online records on the various genealogy sites Find MyPast/Ancstry

We always recommend you look and take notice of the hints on the Long Long Trail website link top left on how to research a soldier

Find My Past (FMP) also has the school records for Tredegar which may help you to focus on your school or it’s earlier named predecessor.

36193 Llewellyn Jenkins was transferred to the Welsh Regiment on 30 April 1915

36140 William Smithers was transferred to the Welsh Regiment on 1 May 1915 

These men had enlisted under Special Reserve terms of service in the South Wales Borderers. Could it be that Lewis came from this route too?

On 29/05/2013 at 15:19, Dannemois said:

The Silver War Badge certificate issued to William Lewis has the following text "510282 Pte William Lewis, DCM, Labour Corps" with the following "previously Welsh Regiment and South Wales Borderers". Try as I might I can not find any reference to him being in the Borderers. As mentioned I have not located his service records but I do have copies of two medal cards (Welsh Regt) and (Lab Corps) neither mention the Borderers. Can anyone please offer guidance or advice how I can resolve this.

I am seeing a number of men who enlisted under Special Reserve terms of service in the South Wales Borderers, who are transferred to the Welsh Regiment so as to make up the numbers of the 1st Battalion, so it can deploy on 5 May 1915. Whatever number Lewis had, it went to the grave with him, but likely to be in the 14??? range of numbers. Most, but not all, who engaged under SR terms had prior military experience.

I've already posted this in the "naval heroes" thread - perhaps we only needed one -but there is a website dedicated to the New Tredegar War Memorial, including local men awarded military honours and the 1918 Absent Voters list. http://www.newtredegar-ww1.org.uk/home.htm

Cheers,
Peter