The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Autograph Books of Mary Florence Robertson VAD (1915 - 1918)

IMacN91

Hi All, 

Hope you're all keeping well! 

Is anyone aware of published photographs from the Autograph Books of Mary Florence Robertson VAD (1915 - 1918)? I have a relative (Leonard Hill) who appears to have been included in this collection. 

The IWM states that the books were sold in the 1990s, I'm curious if this is on display anywhere? Or part of a private collection. I would of course really like to see the photograph. I have googled, and googled, and googled to no avail.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/community/4270

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Iain

28 minutes ago, IMacN91 said:

IWM states that the books were sold in the 1990s

The Lives site is hosted by the IWM but the communities were created by private individuals. Once the site was 'frozen' by IWM we lost the ability to contact the creators of these communities. Very sad. It might be that the creator had owned the albums at some point?? "Created by: , Mark52796" is all we know.

Anyway I presume we are talking about 53475 Leonard Hill of the Royal Engineers. He originally enlisted 25/9/14 was sent to France 21/5/15 and was discharged 25/10/16 due to wounds. His wounding was reported in the daily Casualty List in the Times, published 30/12/15 under report date of 20/12/15. This perhaps suggests original wounding early/mid December 1915?

Edited by charlie962

10 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The Lives site is hosted by the IWM but the communities were created by private individuals. Once the site was 'frozen' by IWM we lost the ability to contact the creators of these communities. Very sad. It might be that the creator had owned the albums at some point??

Anyway I presume we are talking about 53475 Leonard Hill of the Royal Engineers. He originally enlisted 25/9/14 was sent to France 21/5/15 and was discharged 25/10/16 due to wounds. His wounding was reported in the daily Casualty List in the Times, published 30/12/15 under report date of 20/12/15. This perhaps suggests original wounding early/mid December 1915?

Hi Charlie, thank you for responding. That is indeed correct, I've located his living grandchildren - they have shared further details and one photograph. They are keen to understand more. I believe he may have had a significant injury to his leg / lost one of his legs. A previous post I have made on this site threw up the war diary from a helpful poster.

Edited by IMacN91

3 minutes ago, IMacN91 said:

previous post I have made on this site threw up the war diary from a helpful poster

Ah yes I see that thread.

Very frustrating about the IWM Lives site. I contributed several communities but can no longer communicate !