The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with a KRRC service number please

Bob Chandler

Hello all, I'm doing a bit of research for a friend (as you do) her great grandfather Edwin FAIRMAN 25745 died whilst on home service with the 2nd Garrison Btn Northants on 20/07/1916. SDGW says he was previously R/15078 KRRC. Now, I believe the R prefix denotes New Army and looking at the medal rolls, service numbers around Edwin's appear to be for 8th and 9th Battalions...is there any way of getting his enlistment date and confirmation of his Battalion? I would imagine he was transferred to home service due to injury or ill health (he was born in 1877).....many thanks for any information.  

Yes, in a civilian hospital in Gravesend.

R15073 and R15076 attested August 1915 KRRC

Edited by charlie962

My thinking is he attested KRRC August 1915, joined at Depot, posted shortly after perhaps to 6th Bn then transferred to Northants Regt in March** 1916 before dying July 1916.

No overseas service.

I will do à bit more work....

** Edit, see next post, looks like trf was c 23/6/16.

Edited by charlie962
Typo month of death

25736 Dakin of the 2nd G B Northants was transferred from 6th KRRC on 23/6/16 and given that number

25738 Dettmar,   ditto except with trf date 28/6

25745 Fairman   ?

25752 Gascoigne, ditto except with trf date 23/6

Edited by charlie962
Additional examples

That sounds pretty likely to me, I couldn’t find any evidence of overseas service.

Just now, charlie962 said:

25736 Dakin of the 2nd G B Northants was transferred from 6th KRRC on 23/6/16 and given that number

I think that pretty much clinches it :thumbsup:

On 21/09/2024 at 18:44, Bob Chandler said:

..is there any way of getting his enlistment date and confirmation of his Battalion? I would imagine he was transferred to home service due to injury or ill health (

I hope that the above, as edited,  gives you a clear timeline.

So I think he had sufficiently bad health after enlisting that he never made it overseas but was transferred to a home service garrison battalion shortly before he died.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962