The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Garrison Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment

Bob Chandler

Could anyone tell me what units men were sourced from to establish this battalion? From the limited research I’ve done, it seems to be the KRRC and Rifle Brigade - why would that be? Did they come from reserve battalions of men who were not A1 fit or older, as with the Supernumerary Companies of the county regiments going to form the RDC? 

• Admin

It was a Home Service Garrison Battalion formed at Sheerness - LLT says it was formed in June 1916 but I think it was a bit later - I've not found a primary source for the date.

I think you will find that it was formed from relatively low fitness grade men (i.e. not fit enough or no longer sufficiently fit for overseas service) predominantly from the 5th & 6th Reserve Battalions RB and the 5th & 6th Reserve Battalions KRRC who were stationed in the vicinity (Minster, Eastchurch & Sheerness) as part of the Thames & Medway Garrison - in other words a convenient source of men for Garrison duties local to where the unit was to be deployed.

So it was a geographically convenient source of insufficiently fit men being combed out of locally-placed Reserve Infantry Battalions, whose key training role was to supply men for overseas service rather than keeping insufficiently fit men on their books.

Regards

Russ

Perfect, Russ - many thanks indeed for the information. That pretty much answers all my questions! :thumbsup: