The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Harry Coop 18712

Wxmnorm

Hi Everyone, 

Just reaching out if anyone can confirm the following service numbers & regiments as being the same person. I have his ww1 victory medal and it shows

18712 Pte H Coop A.V.C

I also have with the medal a scrap piece of paper that reads

35943/35948 Scottish rifles 

I'm getting myself a little confused as to why the scrap paper has 2 service numbers on. 

Thank you in advance. 

Yours faithfully 

Mark 

• Admin

Here is his MIC (courtesy Ancestry) - began overseas service with the AVC (his medals would be named to that Corps) and he ended his service with Scottish Rifles (who would have administered the issuing of his medals) - so it's the same man,

Regards

Russ

image.png

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Wxmnorm said:

I'm getting myself a little confused as to why the scrap paper has 2 service numbers on. 

Is this scrap a hand-written note written by someone unknown or is an official-looking document?

If it's the former, I would conclude it was written by someone unsure about his final number - both numbers were close but incorrect - you can see it was actually 35942.

Russ

3 minutes ago, RussT said:

Is this scrap a hand-written note written by someone unknown or is an official-looking document?

If it's the former, I would conclude it was written by someone unsure about his final number - both numbers were close but incorrect - you can see it was actually 35942.

Russ

Hi Russ, 

Thank you for your response and above information, I can confirm the numbers are hand written on a small piece of paper by someone unknown. 

Mark