The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Provost Staff Corps query

Stephen Fennell

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me decipher the attached document (and in particular  the abbreviations,) summarising my great uncle's service in WW1.

Am I right in thinking he started in the Cheshire Regt then transferred to MPSC? 

Is his injury, (gsw = gunshot wound?) most likely to have occured on active service with the Cheshire's, or just as like with MPSC? If latter, what type of circumstance, given the role?

Thanks in advance for any help. My ignorance arises from a fundamental lack of understanding of the MPSC role.

Cheers 

Stephen Screenshot_20240922-204420.png.26fe1b8ef71b05ea6ab9621be7462957.png

37 minutes ago, Stephen Fennell said:

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me decipher the attached document (and in particular  the abbreviations,) summarising my great uncle's service in WW1.

Am I right in thinking he started in the Cheshire Regt then transferred to MPSC? 

Is his injury, (gsw = gunshot wound?) most likely to have occured on active service with the Cheshire's, or just as like with MPSC? If latter, what type of circumstance, given the role?

Thanks in advance for any help. My ignorance arises from a fundamental lack of understanding of the MPSC role.

Cheers 

Stephen Screenshot_20240922-204420.png.26fe1b8ef71b05ea6ab9621be7462957.png

Yes GSW is gunshot wound, but referred to any penetrating injury from shot and shell.

Transfer to the MPSC was common for valued men of lower medical grading caused through length of service affecting physical capacity, or injury, or wounding, as long as capable of the necessary duties.

It’s more likely that he was wounded with the infantry and subsequently transferred.

He was previously in the Military Foot Police (MFP) who carried out policing in garrisons, rear areas, and concentrations of billeting.  During offensives they also controlled traffic at road junctions and in some cases formed groups of ‘battle police’ to deal with any allied stragglers, but also the initial processing of prisoners of war.  It’s not impossible that he was wounded during these duties too.

The MFP along with the military mounted police (MMP) were known as ‘red caps’, and not especially well liked by the Tommies.

images from similar threads in the forum.

IMG_6553.jpeg

IMG_6554.jpeg

IMG_6555.jpeg

IMG_6556.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

21 minutes ago, Stephen Fennell said:

Great photos as well!

The MPSC were in effect warders supervising the detention of soldiers awaiting trial by court martial, or awaiting sentence following trial.  The latter included execution by firing squad and it seems inconceivable that he would not have experienced that process.  It was their job to ensure that the soldiers in detention remained fit enough for due process to proceed.

IMG_6559.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

That's certainly an interesting example of alphabet soup
https://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org/soldier/9890/

7 Jan 1914 Enlistment (Source: Silver War Badge.) In principle, will be serving until 6 Jan 1921 with the colours.

16 Aug 1914 Disembarked in France with1st Cheshire Regiment.

12 Nov 1914 Admitted to No 3 Casualty Clearing Station. Gun Show Wound left leg. (Source: Hospital admission and discharge registers, MH 106/281)
19 Nov 1914 Last day in France. (Source: Military Foot Police BWM & VM roll, archive reference WO 329/2132)
20 Nov 1914 Evacuated to England, on the books of the Depot, struck off strength of 1st Battalion.

22 Jul 1917 Disembarked in France (Source: Military Foot Police BWM & VM roll, archive reference WO 329/2132) 
7 Sep 1917 Last day in France. (Source: Military Foot Police BWM & VM roll, archive reference WO 329/2132) 

23 Sep 1919 Medically discharged from the British Army, Thomas Fennell, age 25 years. P/15668 Military Foot Police (Source: Silver War Badge.)

There is a surviving service record for 
Albert Herbert Frederick Plint

P/15665 Military Foot Police

He was allocated his number when he was transferred from the infantry. His service record states the transfer took effect from 20 June 1918.

War Office weekly casualty list 2.10.17 attached, courtesy Natl. Library of Scotland. (Casualty lists were usually published 3 to 8 weeks after the event).

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.d9e04f22f8f013d2b62af817a24b9a9a.jpg