The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German machine gun post near Zandvoorde Flanders

ike

I am looking for information on the German Machine gun bunker that seems to be very intact along the Oude Zonnebekestraat about 1.5 kilometers west of Zandvoorde. It looks like it is in someone front yard and a bit overgrown. Anyone know of this one?

John   

Not sure what info you need, but it is an underground shelter with a minenwerfer/mortar position.

Peter

Ok thanks for that 

Just now, ike said:

Ok thanks for that 

Have you seen it? I only get over there every other year with my battlefield groups and was thinking about adding it as a stop

9 hours ago, mebu said:

Not sure what info you need, but it is an underground shelter with a minenwerfer/mortar position.

Peter

I don't know for sure what it is, but I don't think it's a Minenwerfer bunker. Minenwerfer were usually placed below the ground level and it's too far from the front line to have an effective Minenwerfer range. (If I recall correctly, I have been doing some research many years ago) A machine gun position seems more plausible.

Research in the Württemberg military archives may reveal its original purpose.

https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/erfgoedobjecten/213591

Jan

Great thanks Jan somewhere recently in I saw picture of the site perhaps in bunker hunter or great war Ypres 

• 2 weeks later...

I had another look at this, tried to find some photos from a few decades ago but no luck. It is marked on several German maps but function not given, maps below.

I think Jan is correct, an odd place for a mortar spigot: looks like it does have underground room/s and is of a significant size. The apertures may be for m.g. or o.p., this should be discerned from a look inside. Quite possibly an artillery command centre.z1.jpg.c2813380819713e412959634d79ff30c.jpg

z2.jpg

That point is about 28.P.2.a.92.10. If you put that in TrenchMapper and select Photographs in the left panel, it is visible on some of them, marked with pen on one of them.

Selecting scale 10,000 (British) maps, on m_001383 it is shown as a red square, which according to the standard Conventional Sign sheet means dugout.

Howard.