The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"The Black Watch" 1929 film, set in 1914

Moonraker

I've just watched "The Black Watch" courtesy of YouTube (and available on other streaming services). A curiosity, being an early talkie with uncredited appearances by stars-to-be  Randolph Scott and John Wayne. The stars are  Victor McLaglen (hardly a romantic lead, though wearing a turban does  enhance his looks) and Myrna Loy, wearing more clothes than the two-piece swimsuit on the poster.

As an early talkie, there's a  lot of singing and pipe-playing, and some civilian caterwauling.  The mess scenes are the best parts - though did officers really smash their glasses on the table after the Loyal Toast?

The transition from silent to sound is obvious, with  characters over-acting and speaking in very precise, stretched-out ways. The  big romantic scene between McLaglen and Loy is almost comical.

IMDB

The remake, "King of the Khyber Rifles" is far better, but then in the intervening 24 years cinematography had greatly improved.

(I didn't spot Randolph Scott, but I think John Wayne may have been the moustached soldier at 48.46 having a go at McLlaglen's younger brother because King was seen to be a coward, having opted to serve in India rather than France.)