The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Harold Hamer 56 Sqdn missing/killed 6 6 1917

ralphjd

We have this lad on our database and would dearly love to find how he died, presume he was flying as he was posted missing Hooglede, what was he flying a biplane/single seater ? We have his photo and his burial place. Anything would be of great use. Ralph.

Thanks chaps, brilliant far more than I expected. Very much appreciated. Ralph

My history of  56 sqdn: High in the Empty Blue gives full information on Hamer. 

Thanks Alex. I shall pass this on to my pal tomorrow. Ralph.

As always with anything regarding 56, you really can't go past Alex's "High in the Empty Blue", it's a must.

With that said it's also one of the greatest squadron histories from any war and for that reason alone I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in the subject of air warfare full stop.

Probably the one WWI tome I have picked up and delved through the most over the last couple of decades. 

On 08/10/2024 at 12:06, ralphjd said:

Anything would be of great use.

I presume you may already have a photo of a stained glass window for him? (courtesy Find-a-Grave).

Photos of Lieutenant Harold Hamer - Find a Grave Memorial

BillyH.

14 hours ago, alex revell said:

Sgt Smith

Thanks for that.

Alex

You're more than welcome Alex!

You may not remember but we've talked here and at some other places over the years and it was many years ago but we were first in contact over at theaerodrome forum and especially about APFRD - in fact you sent me a message wondering if I wanted to buy that signed photo of Arthur in his SE (B6) back in 2004. I declined and I regret it enormously to this day.

By the way, I believe it's your birthday next month so for fear of jumping the gun but best wishes for your big day next month.

Very best regards,

Tim