The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Uniform identification??

TK1967

• Admin

With luck this is a bigger picture of 7, 8, 17 and 28.

17 is not wearing his Sam Browne cross strap, he is also wearing gorgets.

In my mind 17 is not  Lt Dewi A Williams  Army Cyclist Corp.

You did not confuse me, I am not looking at 28,

I am looking at 17.

image.png

Hmm you are correct, but look at nose and shape of chin, same shirt tie combo. We can’t see cap badge properly but face shape too similar?

Just now, TK1967 said:

Hmm you are correct, but look at nose and shape of chin, same shirt tie combo. We can’t see cap badge properly but face shape too similar?

Round cheeks too..

44 minutes ago, TK1967 said:

I’m talking about 17 yes. Dewi. Staff cyclist, no gorgets though.

Just to be clear - these are the two individuals you think are one and the same?

Officer17comparisonv1.png.4264aefa30d31b633f4b8ed3eb1eff28.png

No new IP is claimed for the above, and all image rights, if any, remain with the current owners.

Have to say I'm not seeing it if that is the case - but that is just my opinions and others most definately will be available :)

Cheers,
Peter

1 hour ago, TK1967 said:

Round cheeks too..

The cap badge of 17, the officer wearing the gorget tabs, is that of an officer appointed to the headquarters staff, the lion surmounting a crown.

IMG_6898.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, PRC said:

Just to be clear - these are the two individuals you think are one and the same?

Officer17comparisonv1.png.4264aefa30d31b633f4b8ed3eb1eff28.png

No new IP is claimed for the above, and all image rights, if any, remain with the current owners.

Have to say I'm not seeing it if that is the case - but that is just my opinions and others most definately will be available :)

Cheers,
Peter

Well…it’s debatable! Cap badge isn’t quite fitting but is that pixels?

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

The cap badge of 17, the officer wearing goth gorget tabs, is that of an officer appointed to the headquarters staff, the lion surmounting a crown.

IMG_6898.jpeg

That’s Williams- issue is if that is him 17- you might both be right as can’t see them on 17.

1 minute ago, TK1967 said:

That’s Williams- issue is if that is him 17- you might both be right as can’t see them on 17.

It’s the other 3 reg that’s most important now- we can leave Williams there thankyou- thinking about it he was General HQ Staff not DGRE so it’s just a lookalike

• Admin

Thank you @PRC for your side by side view.

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The cap badge of 17, the officer wearing goth gorget tabs, is that of an officer appointed to the headquarters staff, the lion surmounting a crown.

Thank you FROGSMILE.

I may have to eat my words and humble pie here,

Side by side they do look similar in their faces but not uniform and size of body.

If the picture of Williams dressed wearing ACC insignia is an older one then the number 17 could be him later on in years,

a bit larger in frame..wearing his new insignia ?

Regards,

Bob.

12 minutes ago, TK1967 said:

Well…it’s debatable! Cap badge isn’t quite fitting but is that pixels?

Could be distortion becuase of focusing and camera lens used, and of course if the pictures weren't taken at the same time then could explain some of the uniform discrepancies, but for me that is why the jury is out.  In my opinion superficial resemblance that starts to fall apart on closer inspection.

Cap Badge appears to be completely different - as discussed while I've been slowly typing!.
No collar badges on officer 17 versus those on the Army Cyclist Officer.
Shoulder to belt webbing, (Sam Browne?) on the Army Cyclist Officer.
17 appears to have a broader face, cheek bones more pronounced, ear and chin shape different.
Medal ribbands have colours in different proportions - the first medal on Officer 17 has a broader dark stripe in the middle to that worn by the Army Cyclist Officer.

So I'd say Williams is not present in the picture of the 40 staff at St Pol associated with the Unknown Warrior project.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

Just now, PRC said:

Could be distortion becuase of focusing and camera lens used, and of course if the pictures weren't taking at the same time then could explain some of the uniform discrepancies, but for me that is why the jury is out.  In my opinion superficial resemblance that starts to fall apart on closer inspection.

Cap Badge appears to be completely different - as discussed while I've been slowly typing!.
No collar badges on officer 17 versus those on the Army Cyclist Officer.
Shoulder to belt webbing, (Sam Browne?) on the Army Cyclist Officer.
17 appears to have a broader face, cheek bones more pronounced, ear and chin shape different.
Medal ribbands have colours in different proportions - the first medal on Officer 17 has a broader dark stripe in the middle to that worn by the Army Cyclist Officer.

So I'd say Williams is not present in the picture of the 40 staff at St Pol associated with the Unknown Warrior project.

Cheers,
Peter

Agree now thanks Pete- it’s good to get push back

3 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thank you FROGSMILE.

Side by side they do look similar in their faces but not uniform and size of body.

If the picture of Williams dressed wearing ACC insignia is an older one then the number 17 could be him later on in years,

Regards,

Bob.

All 1920 pics Bob

6 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thank you FROGSMILE.

Regards,

Bob.

Edit:  Yes Bob, I do think that he is the same (ACC) officer, i.e. No 17.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 13/10/2024 at 22:48, FROGSMILE said:

I can’t see anything at all that suggests he is the same (ACC) officer.

Thoughts on diff pics of same Officer being Williams ACC?

Edited by TK1967

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Edit:  Yes Bob, I do think that he is the same (ACC) officer, i.e. No 17.

Interesting thanks

13 hours ago, TK1967 said:

IMG_2940.jpeg

IMG_2939.jpeg

I have edited my reply to Bob.  The two photos shown side by side, No17 with gorgets, and the original photo with the ACC insignia, shows the same officer.

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

I have edited my reply to Bob.  The two photos shown side by side, No17 with gorgets, and the original photo with the ACC insignia, shows the same officer.

And are these Williams too in your op?

Just now, TK1967 said:

Are you able to post uncropped pictures or at least point us in the direction of where they can be seen. At this level of resolution I'm afraid it would be wishful thinking to say yea or nay - and believe me, if I could I would !

Cheers,
Peter

Just now, PRC said:

Are you able to post uncropped pictures or at least point us in the direction of where they can be seen. At this level of resolution I'm afraid it would be wishful thinking to say yea or nay - and believe me, if I could I would !

Cheers,
Peter

They are distant pics zoomed I can’t improve but understand difficulty- it’s a DGRE event 

Just now, TK1967 said:

And are these Williams too in your op?

I haven’t considered anyone’s name, just compared the two photos of the same individual, one of which shows ACC insignia as identified by Corporal Punishment.

Sorry again- it must be Williams as he is only ACC Officer, staff or otherwise, at St Pol at time . The standing pics are same timeframe too.

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I haven’t considered anyone’s name, just compared the two photos of the same individual, one of which shows ACC insignia as identified by Corporal Punishment.

Just now, TK1967 said:

Sorry again- it must be Williams as he is only ACC Officer, staff or otherwise, at St Pol at time . The standing pics are same timeframe too.

He has arm band though on other arm to seated pic

On 13/10/2024 at 23:00, TK1967 said:

Defo same Officer just diff angles at close to same time

On 13/10/2024 at 23:02, TK1967 said:

Defo same Officer just diff angles at close to same time

Better can see top of cap- is that stick too?

Edited by TK1967

On 13/10/2024 at 23:00, TK1967 said:

Yes it’s the same officer with different insignia with a time gap between the two as suggested by Bob.  PRC has got placing photos side by side off to a fine art and he’s done so again here.  I’d happily wager with confidence that they are the same officer with a period between and he’s changed his insignia and no longer wearing the armlet.  As well as strikingly matching facial features, he has the same ball buttons (especially noticeable on the shoulder straps) and even wears his shirt and tie in the exact same way - a typical habit for a man in uniform each day.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes it’s the same officer with different insignia with a time gap between the two as suggested by Bob.  PRC has got placing photos side by side off to a fine art and he’s done so again here.  I’d happily wager with confidence that they are the same officer with a gap between and he’s changed his insignia and no longer wearing the armlet.

The standing pics of I think the same Officer is around the same month as 17 pic taken- that’s what’s confusing . 

The sitting pic could be in the 3 months before 17 pic or a month after, no more. All 1920.

Just now, TK1967 said:

The standing pics of I think the same Officer is around the same month as 17 pic taken- that’s what’s confusing . 

The sitting pic could be in the 3 months before 17 pic or a month after, no more. All 1920.

Based on ACC movements in and out of St Pol 1920 and rough date of Nov 1920 for 17 group pic

9 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes it’s the same officer with different insignia with a time gap between the two as suggested by Bob.  PRC has got placing photos side by side off to a fine art and he’s done so again here.  I’d happily wager with confidence that they are the same officer with a gap between and he’s changed his insignia and no longer wearing the armlet.

Perhaps most simple explanation he just didn’t wear Arm band and Uncle Sam for 17 pic and his ACC badge distorted?

Worth bearing mind the Army Cyclist Corps was disbanded in April 1920 so unlikely that anyone would still be badged ACC in November 1920

Interesting- he arrived July 1920 sitting pic soon after but changed badge by 17. and Standing pics in Nov?

Edited by TK1967