The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Uniform identification??

TK1967

2 minutes ago, GWF TEAM said:

We take a dim view of members not respecting other members.

Even though you have hidden it with praise.

Respect for your fellow members

It’s called humour- but I will refrain in future in order not to upset any delicate sensibilities. 

(you are also making a presumption I’m trying to hide that I don’t respect all members- which is patently incorrect- I have also expressed my gratitude to members contributing a number of times through out the thread without any humour attached)

34 minutes ago, TK1967 said:

No Brigs except Wyatt at St Pol Frog!

Some other badge then, as I warned might be the case.  I regret being drawn upon it by PRC, as I had said I was bowing out, but as he never fails my occasional call I felt I should reciprocate.  My earlier view is unchanged and I think trying to identify such poor images as you have presented is a waste of time.  Captain Williams image was better quality and so the badge was just about identifiable.  These others are not. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

No not in this case Peter.  He does indeed wear gorget tabs, but in this case not a staff badge.  It’s possible that he’s a BGS (Brigadier General Staff), who wore a generals circular cap badge and the badge of rank of Mameluke sword crossed over a baton, but the poor quality image makes it impossible to be sure.

Thank you - one day it will finally start to all sink in and I will give you some peace :)

BTW is you mail box full again  - I've tried sending you an image for your collection a few times over the last month and I keep getting the message that you can't receive mails.

Cheers,
Peter

4 minutes ago, PRC said:

BTW is you mail box full again  - I've tried sending you an image for your collection a few times over the last month and I keep getting the message that you can't receive mails.

Cheers,
Peter

I’m sorry Peter, it’s unintentional and yes I must need to weed again.  I do so regularly but there are many exchanges in my inbox that I spent a lot of effort on that I need to keep, and so it’s limited my capacity.  Once I’ve cleared a few I will PM you.

Best wishes,

FS

Edited by FROGSMILE

@TK1967

The other Major in the list you’ve asked us to look at who has Gallantry Medals is Temp. Captain T. McLachlan, D.S.O. M.C. Service Bns Northumberland Fusiliers, (temporary Major 12th August 1919).

There is only one likely MiC in the National Archive catalogue. 2nd Lieutenant Thomas McLachlan was serving with the 25th Battalion, Northumberland Regiment when he first landed in France “about 12th March 1916”. His final rank is shown as Major. He received the D.S.O. and M.C.

Once again the card was initially prepared following the receipt of a nominal roll – in this case on the 9th February 1920 from the A.D.G., R.E. No.3 District, La Chapellette. Thomas formally applied for his medals on the 22nd June 1920, but he gives his address then as Aln House, Alnwick, Northumberland. That may have been a care of address, although it isn’t shown as such. If not it would suggest he was no longer in France.

The North East War Memorials Project has this to say about him, (my highlights):-
Name McLachlan Thomas
Army number 96226
Rank Lt
Decorations D.S.O. 16/8/1918, M.C. 1/1/1917, M.i.D. 27/12/1918.
Unit Northumberland Fusiliers - Commissioned as 2/Lt 15th (Reserve) Battalion 12/7/1915, Entered France around 12/2/1916. Lt 25th Battalion 2/7/1916, T/Captain 25th (2nd Tyneside Irish) Battalion 18/4/1917, T/Major 12/8/1919, Relinquished Commission on completion of service 24/9/1920 as Hon Major. Appointed Lt TA Reserve NDC 25/8/1939, Trf Durham Light Infantry as Lt December 1939, Posted 13th Battalion DLI, Posted Home Guard by 20/12/1941, Returned to rank of Hon Major on ceasing to be employed 18/12/1944.
Company/Battery 41st National Defence Company
Platoon or other sub-unit L Company 41st Group NDC (13th Bn DLI) as at 3/9/1939,
Task or role D.A.D. Graves Registration Enquiries 12/8/1919.
Joined Brigade 25/8/1939
Promotions T/Captain 20/9/1940, A/Captain 22/8/1941, T/Captain 22/8/1941 - 17/12/1944.
Home address Aln House, Alnwick, Northumberland.

http://70brigade.newmp.org.uk/wiki/McLachlan_Thomas_Lt_96226

So if the group of 40 picture was taken at St.Pol in November 1920, Thomas was not amongst them, having already left the Army. For some unknown reason it has not fed through to the Army List.

Cheers,
Peter

10 hours ago, PRC said:

@TK1967

The other Major in the list you’ve asked us to look at who has Gallantry Medals is Temp. Captain T. McLachlan, D.S.O. M.C. Service Bns Northumberland Fusiliers, (temporary Major 12th August 1919).

There is only one likely MiC in the National Archive catalogue. 2nd Lieutenant Thomas McLachlan was serving with the 25th Battalion, Northumberland Regiment when he first landed in France “about 12th March 1916”. His final rank is shown as Major. He received the D.S.O. and M.C.

Once again the card was initially prepared following the receipt of a nominal roll – in this case on the 9th February 1920 from the A.D.G., R.E. No.3 District, La Chapellette. Thomas formally applied for his medals on the 22nd June 1920, but he gives his address then as Aln House, Alnwick, Northumberland. That may have been a care of address, although it isn’t shown as such. If not it would suggest he was no longer in France.

The North East War Memorials Project has this to say about him, (my highlights):-
Name McLachlan Thomas
Army number 96226
Rank Lt
Decorations D.S.O. 16/8/1918, M.C. 1/1/1917, M.i.D. 27/12/1918.
Unit Northumberland Fusiliers - Commissioned as 2/Lt 15th (Reserve) Battalion 12/7/1915, Entered France around 12/2/1916. Lt 25th Battalion 2/7/1916, T/Captain 25th (2nd Tyneside Irish) Battalion 18/4/1917, T/Major 12/8/1919, Relinquished Commission on completion of service 24/9/1920 as Hon Major. Appointed Lt TA Reserve NDC 25/8/1939, Trf Durham Light Infantry as Lt December 1939, Posted 13th Battalion DLI, Posted Home Guard by 20/12/1941, Returned to rank of Hon Major on ceasing to be employed 18/12/1944.
Company/Battery 41st National Defence Company
Platoon or other sub-unit L Company 41st Group NDC (13th Bn DLI) as at 3/9/1939,
Task or role D.A.D. Graves Registration Enquiries 12/8/1919.
Joined Brigade 25/8/1939
Promotions T/Captain 20/9/1940, A/Captain 22/8/1941, T/Captain 22/8/1941 - 17/12/1944.
Home address Aln House, Alnwick, Northumberland.

http://70brigade.newmp.org.uk/wiki/McLachlan_Thomas_Lt_96226

So if the group of 40 picture was taken at St.Pol in November 1920, Thomas was not amongst them, having already left the Army. For some unknown reason it has not fed through to the Army List.

Cheers,
Peter

Hmm yes it’s not an exact science thankyou for all that work- that leaves

Hutchins RE

Kinnear Essex

Folkinghorne Duke of Corn

Fosbroke Hobbs RA -29??

to fit 21,22,and 15

Also Maj WJ Ball Lab Corp may be 14 

Edited by TK1967

10 hours ago, TK1967 said:

Hutchins RE

Kinnear Essex

Fosbroke Hobbs RA -29??

to fit 21,22,and 15

Edited by TK1967

10 hours ago, GWF TEAM said:

We take a dim view of members not respecting other members.

Even though you have hidden it with praise.

Respect for your fellow members

I am a Grumpy [a German dictionary will confirm] but I do not believe that Moderator intervention was at all necessary on this excellent but very complicated thread.

Will we start to see trigger warnings?

The assumption should be that we are all mature.

My respect for fellow members does not stop me disagreeing with them in public by using reasoned argument. Where there is disagreement it is usually sorted without lasting rancour and without Moderator input.

12 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

I am a Grumpy [a German dictionary will confirm] but I do not believe that Moderator intervention was at all necessary on this excellent but very complicated thread.

Will we start to see trigger warnings?

The assumption should be that we are all mature.

My respect for fellow members does not stop me disagreeing with them in public by using reasoned argument. Where there is disagreement it is usually sorted without lasting rancour and without Moderator input.

Salute

10 hours ago, TK1967 said:

Hutchins RE

Kinnear Essex

Fosbroke Hobbs RA -29??

to fit 21,22,and 15

My hunch on blurred badge shapes only is 21. Folkinghorne, 22 Kinnear so 29 is prob Hutchins - maybe Hobbs not there?

I can’t see us getting much further without other pics for reference. I will see what I can find.

I may have one of two pics further for help so don’t go away and always appreciate the deep dives into Officers- so interesting.