The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt C H Pullen RNVR Naval Intelligence, who as he?

corisande

The 1918 Navy list gives C H Pullen in Naval Intelligence, but I cannot get his full name

Can anyone help me here with his full name, as I flounder a bit with things naval

He seems to have gone on in WW2 and become  at least a Commander RNVR

I still find it amazing the the British published info like this  Hall's work and staff

pullen.jpg.ad8dce57f4820fe4f388e48d07cb39b6.jpg

Thanks very much. I tried for hours to get him!

He seems to have been involved with Intelligence agents in Ireland via Basil Thomson/Reginald Hall connection

photo.jpg

As with most intelligence people I found it difficult to get much on his  life

Charles Harper Pullen - click

• However I did determine he was born in Rio where his father was pro-consul and journeyed back and forth many times over the year
  • He never married and died in London in 1956
  • He was awarded Portugal - Military Order of Avis - 3rd Class. Ship in which serving or services for which given Naval Attache at Rio, Interpreter to Brazilian Squadron
  • He was also put up for MBE, but that does not appear to have gone through. "specially meritorious service on SE Coast"

obe.jpg

• Admin

From FMP

Pall Mall Gazette 20 May 1915

image.png

Made me wonder if he was an acting type as The Era 16 November 1912 has this

image.png

In case there might have been another C H Pullen this from the Gazette May 25th 1915 confirms the above is him

image.png

It appears he regularly travelled to / from Brazil as this from January 1912 shows

image.png

And he was in UK when commissioned in 1915 as he sailed for Brazil shortly afterwards - so perhaps he was he actor after all?

image.png

From The Era 22 July 1914

image.png

• Admin

However, 1901 census suggests that your man was not the Actor [courtesy FMP] - birth date and place are wrong. Sorry for the false trail.

image.png

Thanks David

The thought of him on the stage was intriguing , but I see that unfortunately was not to be !

He seems to have gone straight in as Lt, rather than sub-lieutenant. So it looks as if the Navy wanted his Rio connections

I know to my cost that Intelligence men are difficult to research. They let very little be published on themselves. So I was surprised to find the photo of him in uniform. With the fancy bits on it, I assume this is when he was a Naval Attache in Rio

Thanks David,

I had missed that - I must have been too tied up in the multiple Naval records , and overlooked the real record.

• Admin

Was interesting to see a promotion refused and a period of being invalided.

Not found an obituary in FMP might be in the Times Archive?

14 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Not found an obituary in FMP might be in the Times Archive?

I had tried that , but got nothing. That said, I find searches the a bit fraught

There is another photograph of him, contributed by a William Pullen, and some family information on FamilySearch, formerly the IGI (International Genealogical Index). It is free to sign up to for searching purposes. If you want to investigate further the link is here: https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LR5P-98M/charles-harper-pullen-1883-1956

seaJane