The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sighthill Cemetery Glasgow

roughdiamond

Screenshot_20241015_164720_X.jpg.7f8a691fc240b65c3e7c58b79ff36178.jpg20240904_103742.jpg.ced3e0898d7d0e0355efdf9333a42c64.jpgSent the following on Twitter to CWGC 4th September, asked about any progress and so far not even an acknowledgement, I see it most days on my break at work and it irritates me increasingly.

I wonder if they have an "Eyes on, Hands on" team available?

Hopefully the necessary clearance can be swiftly achieved - before 11 Nov ?

M

Edited by Matlock1418

20240712_104034.jpg.51c214020b39fe0fa85716ae832ea1ca.jpg20240712_104023.jpg.949182e50939f5c15c9c4e8fc6fb5385.jpg

10 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I wonder if they have an "Eyes on, Hands on" team available?

Hopefully the necessary clearance can be swiftly achieved - before 11 Nov ?

M

Hopefully, I occasionally see a CWGC van, but I've never seen a volunteer. I did offer my services when "Eyes on, Hands on" started, got zero reply, not even a thanks but no thanks.

Also brought this to their attention, a while ago, same result, the headstone his leaning against it's detached base, thought it was a candidate for a CWGC Headstone,yesterday saw a Glasgow Council employee topling unsafe headstones, hopefully not this one.

Sam

• Admin

This was in a communal cemetery in France recently. I don’t know whether it’s the commune or the CWGC who have responsibility. I did tweet/X the photo.

IMG_1790.jpeg

4 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

Also brought this to their attention, a while ago, same result, the headstone his leaning against it's detached base, thought it was a candidate for a CWGC Headstone,yesterday saw a Glasgow Council employee topling unsafe headstones, hopefully not this one.

I have some sympathy with CWGC about the potential difficulty in placing CWHC headstones on private graves/lairs - It can potentially be almost impossible to find who now owns the grave/lair and gettting approval from the graveyard/cemetery can be difficult too.

I think private graves/lairs are the most precarious of all the war dead physical commemorations.  I guess the NoK back then didn't really recognise the situation in the long-term.

M

9 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

This was in a communal cemetery in France recently.

I think it is also a case of spare an extra thought for the private graves of french servicemen - I believe in France they clear & recycle/reuse the plots after 100y [or thereabouts].  The french do appear to have a history of such practices and osseries for the exhumed remains [or something like that]

I have recently heard on the news about consideration of such re-use practices in the UK for all graves >75y :( - Don't know how well that well go down or if it will happen, but it seems they're running out of space.  [Apparently the idea is to exhume the existing and then bury deeper so that a new body(ies) can be planted on top]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add