The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Distinguished Conduct Medal | Cecil Alfred Westley

Andrew787

Hello,

First time poster and new to the community. I've recently developed an interest in the story of my great grandfather Cecil Alfred Westley, who was awarded the DCM. I'd like to learn more about the story of how he earned he medal but have only the following post on the Imperial War Museum website to go off:

Although not belonging to the machine-gun section, Private Westley took back an advanced machine-gun, which had been left behind during retirement, and handed it over to a machine-gun Corporal, who brought it into action against the advancing enemy.

Is anyone able to guide me towards more resources where I could learn more about Cecil? He was a member of the Gordon Highlanders 1/6th Division (I don't know if this helps)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Assume you know that Cecil was later commissioned into the Labour Corps? I’ve attached his medal index card courtesy Ancestry. He was initially 1/6 Battalion Gordon Highlanders (not division) 

IMG_1251.jpeg

IMG_1252.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Andrew787 said:

First time poster and new to the community. I've recently developed an interest in the story of my great grandfather Cecil Alfred Westley, who was awarded the DCM. I'd like to learn more about the story of how he earned he medal but have only the following post on the Imperial War Museum website to go off:

Although not belonging to the machine-gun section, Private Westley took back an advanced machine-gun, which had been left behind during retirement, and handed it over to a machine-gun Corporal, who brought it into action against the advancing enemy.

Is anyone able to guide me towards more resources where I could learn more about Cecil? He was a member of the Gordon Highlanders 1/6th Division (I don't know if this helps)

Welcome to the Forum.

I am rather presuming he was 1st/6th Gordon Highlanders, 10754265556 and then Labour Corps,

M

Edited by Matlock1418
Ack: Michelle beat me to it!

AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL ... 10754 Private C. A. Westley, 6th (Banff and Donside) Battalion, Gordon Highlanders, T.F

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29438/supplement/613

M

Edit: LG with citation you have listed earlier

10754 Private C. A. Westley, 6th (Banff and Donside) Battalion, Gordon Highlanders, T.F. For conspicuous gallantry. Although not belonging to the machine-gun section, Private Westley took back an advanced machine-gun, which had been left behind during retirement, and handed it over to a machine-gun Corporal, who brought it into action against the advancing enemy

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29503/supplement/2732

It is possible there might potentially be a hand-annotated version of this citation in a ledger - with date and place ???  In hope!

Edited by Matlock1418
add to edit

The chances are that he may be mentioned in a War Diary [rare for OR, but under the circumstances of a DCM it seems quite possible - perhaps at brigade level as well as battalion] ???

M

Lt Cecil Alfred WESTLEY, Labour Corps - has a completely unhelpful officer's disability index card at WFA/Fold [that's your lot]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

His service record is one of those recently held by the MoD. Others can advise where to apply for a copy.

Here's the reference on the Ancestry index.

Screenshot_20241015-215157_Chrome.jpg.e8f3e6c8e3f2b7f9041e13b7ca9bb046.jpg

11 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

His service record is one of those recently held by the MoD. Others can advise where to apply for a copy.

Commissioning LG

The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts.: — 24th Feb. 1918. LABOUR CORPS ... Cecil Alfred Westley, D.C.M.

The Army typically wanted at least three year's commissioned service thereafter - promotion to Lt would follow at 18 months after commission.

Retained papers explain why not yet found visible at TNA

Try https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service/apply-for-the-records-of-a-deceased-serviceperson - it may be a long process

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Note that although initially recorded as Wounded in the Daily Casualty List published 10/3/15 under date 15/2/15, this was subsequently corrected to Not Now Wounded in a report in the Abetdeen Press also of 10/3/15 !

Aberdeen_Press_and_Journal_10_March_1915_0006_Clip.jpg.26adf2fcee45dd29f48e52172835a28b.jpg

Courtesy Findmypast. 

This may however give a clue (eg early Feb 1915) to the date of the action earning the DCM ? Of course there should be the annotated version of DCM citation giving date/place? @TEW ?

Edited by charlie962

29 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

This is probably the war diary you need. Free to download, after free registration.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352417

Thank you! 

So if I can locate the date of the action earning the DCM, I might be able to find reference to it in this diary?

Forgive my ignorance, very new to this but grateful for all your help.

Worth looking at local papers. Here are a couple of examples courtesy Findmypast 

Banfshire Herald 15/1/16

Banffshire_Herald_15_January_1916_0004_Clip.jpg.7f23f69f83b2b7ac596c9535acaea8b2.jpg

Northampton Chronicle 2/1916

Northampton_Chronicle_and_Echo_05_February_1916_0008_Clip.jpg.c1d5f4a2c677101bc82df306c7181cb1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Andrew787 said:

So if I can locate the date of the action earning the DCM, I might be able to find reference to it in this diary?

You may find reference to the action - the mention of WESTLEY is possible but potentially more likely to be later when a mention of the award may be recorded.

It is all rather maybe at the moment, but you won't know until you have looked.

Probably a few weeks, say 6-12 weeks, before the first LG - probably a case of working back from around there [11 January 1916] back into 1915, say November based on the newspaper article just posted.

Good luck.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

I'll have a look tomorrow, offhand I can't recall what else is published beyond the MC and higher awards.

TEW