The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieut. E.C.White RAF 47 Squadron

CrownJules

My Grandad, ex RAF WWI & White Russian campaign.  I am trying to understand his service record.  As anyone in the know would expect it is full of abbreviations.  Can anyone decipher it.  In particular his leaving of the RAF seems mysterious "S off S of ME on being absorbed in Home Bet!"  I am not sure if the last word is correct but I do know that Grandad did like a flutter.  Can anyone help me understand this matter?  AIR 76/542/44 attached.  Thank you.

AIR-76-542-44.pdf

He must have given good service as he was awarded medal for valour in the Tsaritsyn offensives.  Attached are the certificates, English and Russian versions.

Grandad Tsaritsyn Medal, English.jpg

Grandad Tsaritsyn Medal, Russian.jpg

‘S off S ME on being absorbed in Home Est’ = Strike off strength of Mediterranean Establishment on being absorbed in Home Establishment (UK)

He was based at Constantinople at the end of the war and had earlier been operating in South Russia.

i.e. his squadron was no longer required for operational purposes and was returned home and disbanded.

There was not question of your Grandad leaving the RAF in disgrace.

M.

Edited by KizmeRD

2 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

‘S off S ME on being absorbed in Home Est’ = Strike of strength of Mediterranean Establishment on being absorbed in Home Establishment (UK)

He was based at Constantinople at the end of the war and had earlier been operating in South Russia.

i.e. his squadron was no longer required for operational purposes and was returned home and disbanded.

There was not question of your Grandad leaving the RAF in disgrace.

M.

Thank you.  That's really good news.  Brilliant.

When I referred to ‘end of the war’, I really meant the withdrawal of the Intervention Force in Russia.

M.

• kenf48 changed the title to Lieut. E.C.White RAF 47 Squadron
41 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

When I referred to ‘end of the war’, I really meant the withdrawal of the Intervention Force in Russia.

M.

Understood.  Like many in any war he, and his wife and descendents, spoke very little of his experiences.  The only two concrete mentions I remember was 1) that many of the pilots drank heavily, even before missions, as they were terrified of being caught in a flamer.  No parachutes of course.  2) He crashed once but was thrown clear and obviously lived to fight another day.  Ihad his white silk flying scarf for many years but eventually the moths destroyed it to shreds.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, CrownJules said:

@kenf48thanks for the title update!

You're welcome

You may find this thread of interest

I'm sure forum pal @wrightdw will be interested in your grandfather's service in the campaign and may be able to add more on the 'doings' of 47 Squadron

46 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

You're welcome

You may find this thread of interest

I'm sure forum pal @wrightdw will be interested in your grandfather's service in the campaign and may be able to add more on the 'doings' of 47 Squadron

Looks very interesting.  Good pointer.  Thank you.

Your Grandfather's Russian Cross of St. George is confirmed:

47Sqn English aviation detachment, lieutenant, pilot. For that during the Tsaritsyn operation, carrying out aerial reconnaissance of the enemy's location and bombing under actual artillery fire, he provided valuable information that had consequences that were important for the army in their significance. Awarded on the basis of paragraphs 16, 17 and 44 of Art. 67 of the St. George Statute. White - lieutenant, pilot. English subject.

He was also awarded the Imperial Russian Order of Saint Stanislaus 3rd Class with Swords.

Plenty on 47 Sqn's operations in South Russia 1919-20 in my book mentioned above. It is out of print but if you can't get a hardback you can purchase an electronic version here: https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/churchills-secret-war-with-lenin-british-and-commonwealth-military-intervention-in-the-russian-civil-war-1918-20.php

The following may be of interest -

Hard copy of an original hand written document in my possession, being one of a good number acquired by me many years ago.  Regretfully, no N.A. reference no. on this particular document.  Absence of scanner prevents me from uploading, however -

"To. Officer Commanding.  Royal Air Force.  South Russia.

The following Officers were awarded the St. George's Cross, 4th Class. by General Vrangel, Caucasian Army, for services in the Field during TZARITSIN operations.  12th July 1919:-

Capt. H. G. Davies. D.F.C.

Lt. E. [S.] C. White. 

Lt. E. G. Clavery.

2/Lt A. M. Verity.

2/Lt C. C. Reynolds.

Lt. D. B. Thompson.

Lt. J. M. Webb.

Lt. C. P. Primrose.

2/Lt. W. Mann.

2/Lt. G. B. Hopwood.

The following N.C.O's. and Men were awarded the St. George's Medal, 4th Class. by General Vrangel, Caucasian Army, for services in the Field, 19th July. 1919.

No. 30258. F/Sgt. Reeves A.

No. 25407. Sgt. Young. J. H.

No. 113368. L.A.C. Smith. R.

No. 34911. A.C.1. McCorquodale

No. 139703. A.C.2. Morris.

In The Field.

Aug: 6th. 1919.

[Signed] R. Collishaw Major.

Commanding. 47. Squadron.

Royal Air Force."

Edited by RFT

Another hand written document -

"Ekaterinodar. O/C. British A. F. Mission.

Chief O/C of the Caucasian V. A. decorated for the Tsaritsin operation with St. George's crosses 4th degree the following officers:

Capt. Davis;  Lieut. White;  Lieut Reinaless [likely Reynolds].  Lieut Kievy [likely Clavey];  Lieut Tomson Webb [Lts Thompson & Webb].  Second Lieut. Verity-Man [Lts Verity & Mann];  Sec. Lieut. Primrose;  Sec. Lieut. Hopwwod and with St. George's medals 4th degree fol[l]owing  Serge[a]nts:  Reeve;  Yung [Young];  Mechanics:  Smith;  M[illegible] [likely 139703, Morris];  Corcondeil [likely 34911, McCorquodale].  SH Beketovs[illegible] 5 [illegible]. 15h.

Signed J Sivoloboff"

[Document not dated]  END.

Note: Russian, Capt Sevaleboff/Sevoloboff of the R.A.F. Mission - He was attached to "C" Flight 9 June 1919.

Hoping the above is of interest.

Regards

Rob

Edited by RFT
Updated text.