The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

help to read service files / ships please WW1

Noor

Hi all,

Can some of you please help me to read / confirm the ships where this sailor served with? I assume Plymouth Hospital is a place where he worked, not stayed half a year (EDIT; he was SBA - Sick Berth Attendant so that was his assigned work place)? I didn't count shore stations (Vivid).

Plymouth Hospital 25 Oct 1913 – 6 Nov 1914 and then again 10 Nov 1914 – 19 Feb 1915.

HMS Indus 20 Feb 1915 – 5 Sep 1916.

HMS Centurion 6 Sep -1916 – 13 Mar 1919 (Battle of Jutland?)

HMS xxxxx 18 March 1919 – 30 Nov 1919

HMS Impregnable 1 Dec 1919 – 18 Jan 1921

He was finally discharged 14 Jun 1922.

file_small-1.jpg

Edited by Noor

Missing one is probably H.M.S. Powerful which was used as a training ship in Devonport. From Google :- "she was briefly assigned to the 7th Cruiser Squadron of the Third (Reserve) Fleet[25] before she was reclassified as a boys training ship at Devonport in August 1912. Powerful was assigned as a tender to HMS Impregnable in 1913. She was reassigned to a training role on 23 September and was renamed Impregnable I in November 1919". That would explain the squiggle under Powerful on your listing, then Impregnable 1st December 1919 to 18th January 1921.    (David, you just beat me to it).

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Thanks David and Jim!

Edited by Noor

1 hour ago, Noor said:

HMS Centurion 6 Sep -1916 – 13 Mar 1919 (Battle of Jutland?)

Jutland took place on 31 May- 1 June 1916 when he was serving in HMS INDUS (training establishment at Devonport).

In fact his record shows no sea service other than CENTURION, all his drafts being to shore/training ships.

Edited by horatio2

Ah, thanks horatio - I was reading about HMS Centurion that they were involved and I didn't paid full attention when actually he was transferred. Anyhow, thank you!

Also, he actually served straight after the war on hospital ship HMS Berbice - his Victory- and British War Medal were sent to there.

medal roll input.jpg