The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The War Diary of the Master of Belhaven

Robert Dunlop

The book appears to have been reprinted again. It is newly listed on the Naval and Military Press web site. As Dick Flory said: '...a real classic'. Highly recommended, though his attitude towards some Belgian farmers would be unacceptable these days.

Hamilton fought on the Somme. He also gives detailed accounts of what it was like for the artillery in the Salient at various times throughout the war. His style of writing is such that you get caught up in the book. Which makes the ending even more poignant.

Robert

Chris, you are right. It is one of the few descriptions of artillery involvement in the early phase of the war. Good point.

Robert

A brilliant book.

I bought it about 15 years ago for about two pounds in a charity shop and it gave me an insight into the role and organisation of the artillery.

Particularly poignant is when he is at Guillemont in September 1916 as this is when and where a relative of mine was mortally wounded, ( 17 Sept). Hamilton describes it as a 'fairly quiet day'.

I recommend this to book to all.

SEAN

• 3 years later...

Have just finished reading this and thoroughly recommend it, an excellent insight into the artillery's role on the western front from the early days through to the German Spring Offensive 1918. Certainly one of the most readable diaries i have read related to the war, very informative, amazes me how he got so much detail back home avoiding the censor (It seems he either took his notes back with him or sent them back with colleagues going on leave).

Again thoroughly recommended.

Have just finished reading this and thoroughly recommend it, an excellent insight into the artillery's role on the western front from the early days through to the German Spring Offensive 1918. Certainly one of the most readable diaries i have read related to the war, very informative, amazes me how he got so much detail back home avoiding the censor (It seems he either took his notes back with him or sent them back with colleagues going on leave).

Again thoroughly recommended.

Also very poignant is the story of his wife, coming over every year after the war to spend the day sitting by his grave (he is the only CWGC burial in a communal cemetery, to the south of Amiens, I seem to recall). She would arrive by train in Amiens (I assume), be dropped off by a taxi, set up her chair, spend her day there and finally be collected by a taxi for her return journey home.

I particularly recall him mentioning taking his pulse when his guns were under heavy shell fire at Blaupoort Farm in the Salient, not all that far from Hill 60. Standing there today one can appreciate how exposed the position must have felt!

and another poignant note from his cousin, later to become another Lord Belhaven, recalling the last time he saw him, home on leave:

'when I met him in that day in London he was in high good humour. But when I was leaving his house and for a moment we were alone in the hall he said to me 'Id like you to have my pair of guns when I've gone'. I did not understand him and I stood there, feeling foolish and inadequate. 'I'm not coming back' he said. ... then his wife was there and a taxi at the door .... he was killed on Easter sunday ... ('The Uneven Road' Lord Belhaven)

david

Read his entry for 11th Feb 1916 and the next time you stand at Lille Gate, look down the Rue de Lille.

Sean

Thanks for those extra notes and the link to the memorials, much appreciated and very moving again both the story of the wife and his comment to his relative.

Just checked the feb 16 entry Sean, and it would be something to look back down there from Lille Gate, I always visit there as the Ramparts Cemetery is one of my favourite? cemetries on the salient. In fact that reminds me Sean you should be arranging our branch trip then we can visit!

I find the May 10 1916 entry something special, amusing even....

'The Hun has misbehaved himself very badly today and I have had to deal severely with him...'

I find he does refer to the Germans in a naughty schoolboy tone for the most.

Can anyone tell me if he makes any references to Abergele or Gwyrch Castle?

• 4 years later...

I must find this book , can anyone point me in the direction. Incidentally the Memorial Park In Wishaw , has largely missed the attentions of the local feral youth and is quite a pleasant stroll of an afternoon ( not large, think it has been reduced in size over the years by the local council and Golf club) and holds an annual music festival called "B " in the park ( "B" being Bellhaven) .

Iain

Iain

Search Amazon under "Master of Belhaven" in books and it will come up. It is a great read.

Roger

Andrew - What is the connection with Abergele and Gwyrch Castle?

Regards ... Maricourt

The War Diary of the Master of Belhaven can be download in pdf from the Oxford WW1 Centenary site.

Regards ... Maricourt

Maricourt,

That's a great site. Should be better known. Thanks for the heads up.

Len

Thanks Len - I have posted its location on the GWF - but I forget where! Lots of gems on it.

Regards ... Maricourt