The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The March on Paris

paul guthrie

Just go this after an incredibly long wait from N & M Press. Virtually unreadable, essentially one long order of battle from day to day , skip it unless you need just that, does not read at all like memoirs of Foch or Joffre, Falkenhayn next, hope it's better, really it has to be, this is terrible.

You might do a search in book reviews. As I recall there is a review of Falkenhayn's book from the Jan/Feb/March timeframe. I could be wrong, but I think it sounded similar to your von Kluck comments.

Andy

Too late Andy, already have it. :( I am absolutely overwhelmed with books, put in a very large book case last week and still have them stacked on top of others, stored - if that's the word for a heap - upstairs, I have tossed Von Kluck, you might even say, as does Fred Karno's Army, that I dont give a **** for old Von Kluck and all his ******* army!"

Sadly Falkenhayn's memoirs are very dull, with the exception of the Verdun memorandum. Hindenburg's are little better, the same goes for Ludendorff's. It must have been the style of the age. Falkenhayn's diary, which is frequently cited in Holger Afflerbach's book, is far more incisive... but it's not been translated into English.

I really enjoyed von Kluck's book. It gives a fascinating insight into his character. He held the key to the German right flank. Yes, the OOBs are tedious. The more I re-read the book, the easier these become as well. I started with a real interest in what happened on the Marne. So the detailed descriptions of the movements were really helpful, especially when coupled with the colour map. There are some real gems in this book, particularly his interpretation of what the BEF were up to. Also, von Kluck's right flank came up against several weak attempts to stop him. It is interesting to tie this in with the ultimate failure to comprehend what was happening when he turned inside Paris.

Von Kluck's book, along with Spear's 'Liaison 1914', got me interested in other German accounts. I have almost finished translating von Buelow's account of the Second Army. I am part-way through von Kuhl's book 'Der Marnefeldzug 1914', which covers the action across the breadth of the German attacks in those first weeks. Both books are very similar in style to von Kluck's. Seemingly endless accounts of the day-to-day locations and routes of march for the various formations. But there are transcripts of OHL and other orders, as well as personal snippets that sneek in. The latter make an interesting contrast with von Kluck's equivalents.

Tomorrow we are off to the Liege area and will then drive down the routes of the First and Second Armies. This will take in Mons and Le Cateau, as well as the Oise, Marne, and Aisne. Should be a busy but enjoyable 10 days.

Robert

Hello

I too enjoyed Von Kluck's book.

My understanding that it is less a memoir but rather a memorandum prepared and circulated among the senior officers in I Army before it was "adopted". Much like the minutes of a meeting prepared by civil servants. I was a civil servant for years and wrote far dryer memorandums than Von Kluck.

I would love to read Von Bulow's and Von Kuhl's works but they would have to be in English.

Does anybody know if Hentsch ever wrote an account and if it is available in English??

Regards

Does anybody know if Hentsch ever wrote an account and if it is available in English??

Regards

He definitely wrote accounts of his "mission" and numerous letters/memoranda for the Reichsarchiv before his death (I think in 1917 or 18). From memory, I've seen extracts translated; possibly in Annika Mombauer's book or in the British Official History, volume 1 (unfortunately all my books are in boxes at the moment!!). I'm guessing that pretty soon after the Marne, he was singled out as a scapegoat, hence the justification of his actions.

The Marne campaign definitely needs re-visiting - something along Beevor's lines. There are all too many books on the Somme/3rd Ypres that it's easy to forget the war of movement in 1914...

Hello

Thank you Halder for your response.

I recall reading that Hentsch's account appeared in a German military review some time between the wars but I have never heard of an English translation.

Von Bulow's or Von Kuhl's accounts would be fascinating if they were available in English - forgive my monoglottery (monoglotosis?)

I agree that the 1914 campaign is under represented. There are plenty of books on the Marne but there is a gap between then and first Ypres.

Regards

• 2 years later...

Regards

Very belatedly visiting an old thread, I now have a semi answer. I have a pithy pamphlet (80 pages) produced by Wilhelm Müller-Loebnitz for the Reichsarchiv, Die Sendung des Oberstleutnants Hentsch am 8-10 September which features a memorandum compiled by Hentsch for OHL in 1917 to explain what happened. That and the rest of the booklet are probably the most comprehensive account of events.

Is this the memorandum compiled in response to Ludendorff's formal investigation?

Robert

I think so; it's addressed to the Chef des Generalstabes des Feldheeres, 15/5/1917

It's always amazed me that someone as low-ranked as an oberstleutnant , albeit a highly intelligent and perceptive one, was dispatched to the front on such an important mission, one which had not tactical but strategic consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an investigation of Hentch's actions and he came out well' Bulow and Kluck were both out of the army by 1916, had been wounded but that may not be the only reason.

It's always amazed me that someone as low-ranked as an oberstleutnant , albeit a highly intelligent and perceptive one, was dispatched to the front on such an important mission, one which had not tactical but strategic consequences.

Yes, it is surprising, but it is another facet of the rather unique German concepts of command. I figure that he must have been outranked in France by at least 600 colonels and generals. But OHL gave him that task.

Anothe facet is the way that a division was usually commanded by a Generalleutnant, but his chief of staff was often a General Staff Hauptmann, and arguably he ran the division more than the general did.

Bob Lembke

Does this help? I have not seen it mentioned anywehre, but is anyone aware of "Movements and Supply of the German First Army During August and September 1914: a Treatise by General van Kuhl and General von Bergman' Introduction by von Kluck ( for whom Brits didn't give a ****). 1929, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, The Command and General Staff School Press. Well worth examining.

• 8 years later...

This book was republished in 2012 by Pen and Sword with a new introduction by Mark Pottle.  I am inclined to agree with some of the early commenst above that von Kluck's account is a difficult read, but the introduction is a clear concise review of the initial advances of the the German 1st Army and well worth a read in its own right.

I seem to recall that the book was written specifically at the request of the US Army , thus the stilted approach, the orbats and logistical emphasis.