The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Light Horse in Gallipolli

Guest 3RAR

Have just read a book titled "Goodbye Cobber,God Bless You" by John Hamilton which covers the 3rd L.H. Brigade from its formation and home training in Australia to the fatal charge at Gallipoli on August 7th 1915 (the action which the film "Gallipoli" is based on).

The book is not a bad read and is interspersed with letters from the troops involved which makes it more than just a historical narration. For those interested in the Light Horse or that particular campaign I would recommend obtaining a copy (if you're a cheapskate like me your local library might have it).

Gary

• 2 years later...

A great read, finished reading about 2 days ago, very interesting and the letters add another element to the book.

Alas, i cannot own the book either due to the fact that i am a 14 year old money short jobless teenager who spent all of his money on other stuff before he found this book, sigh.....

Veritas, also available from your library, if you haven't read them yet, are Somme Mud, by Lynch and Gallipoli, by Les Carylon, amongst many others.

Books are better than stuff, mate. ;)

Cheers

Kim

Aye, books are definatly better then worthless computer games which i play for a month and then well, forget about them.

Thanks for the info,

Mitch

Build yourself up a library, then you will have them forever, and you will be suprised how often you look back to the books to find info.

The Shrine has books in the gift shop there and there is a good Military Book shop down a side street from Swanston. If you haven't found it yet, I'll try and find the correct address for you.

Cheers

Kim

I would love to collect books but for my age, 14 means that i have neither the money nor the permission to get to Swanston but soon i will persuade my parents to at least take me to have a look.

Mitch

thanks for the help Kim

Also does anyone know what my display name and signature actually mean yet?

Yeh, I beilieve he was the epitome of what a good CO should be, brave, daring and loyal to his troops, he was a warrior to the end.

As for "Veritas vos liberabit" it means the truth will set you free, a very interesing latin saying, Veritas itself simply means truth.

Mitch

Yeh, I beilieve he was the epitome of what a good CO should be, brave, daring and loyal to his troops, he was a warrior to the end.

As for "Veritas vos liberabit" it means the truth will set you free, a very interesing latin saying, Veritas itself simply means truth.

Mitch

...and I thought it was "Work will set you free." - German saying from World War part two.