The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Helmuth Von Moltke and the Origins of the First Wo

Dikke Bertha

Hello

I have just received a copy of - Helmuth Von Moltke and the Origins of the First World War by Annika Mombauer - from Amazon today. Very quick delivery from Amazon.

From a quick skim it looks very interesting.

Has anybody read this or got any views?

Regards

DB

Sorry -

it seems the title line would not take the full name of the book. I am aware that there was no such thing as the First Wo.

Regards

Excellent book - particularly if you read it in conjuction with Foley's German Strategy and the Path to Verdun, Erich von Falkenhayn and the Development of Attrition, 1870–1916.

Both give a much more rounded view to the traditional accounts of OHL in the opening months of the war. First rate and essential for any serious historians of the German Army and the Marne campaign. Happy reading.

Robert or Halder,

Would one of you be willing to post a review or a more detailed description of this book? I'm interested in it, but the price had me off a bit.

I bought Foley's book on Verdun for about the same price, and it was well worth the money, I must say.

Paul

Dear Paul

This is the Amazon review

Synopsis

This book explores the influence of Helmuth von Moltke, Germany's Chief of the General Staff between 1906 and 1914. Based largely on previously unknown primary sources, it analyses the General Staff's role in military decision-making and Moltke's relationship with Kaiser Wilhelm II, as well as the genesis of the Schlieffen Plan and Germany's military and political reactions to the many pre-war crises. Moltke's influence on Germany's political decision-making was decisive, helping to foster an increasingly confrontational mood. The book takes specific issue with the common perception of Moltke as an ineffectual and reluctant military leader, remembered primarily for the defeat at the Battle of the Marne and his alleged adulteration of the Schlieffen Plan. It concludes that he was both bellicose and ambitious, hoping for war 'the sooner the better' and playing a crucial role in the outbreak and early months of the First World War.

Hope this helps as I have not read the book myself yet (have to finish the two I am wading through at the moment.

Regards

DB

Just to add to that, there are a lot of quotes from letters, memoranda, orders etc, most of them unpublished and untranslated before which give a real insight into the workings of OHL, the senior German leadership and Moltke's thinking. All in all, indispensable...

Thanks Guys,

I'll keep my eyes out for a good (better) price.

Halder--The quote in your siggy made me laugh. Is that from someone famous??

Paul

Er, sort of...

It's from The Simpsons, the episode's Cape Feare (my favourite!)

Thank you Halder for your comments.

This book has now moved to the top of my reading pile.

Paul

you mentioned looking for a better price. I paid £28.00 on Amazon UK and now I see it there for $4.99 - check this site

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/det...3894765-8735821

??????

Regards

Robert,

Wow, thanks for the tip. I just bought it for 4.99, which seems a bit odd. I'll let you know what I get in the mail :D.

Paul

Paul,

My pleasure especially after you sending me all those Schlieffen documents.

I am watching to see if Amazon reduces the price of the Foley book. They are probably waiting until after I have bought one at full price.

Regards

Robert,

No thanks needed, my pleasure. I did indeed get the book for 4.99 (I'm still amazed) and I look forward to reading it.

I'll keep my eyes open for a copy of Foley's book for you as well.

Paul

Dear Paul,

Thanks - that would be appreciated.

I see from the Amazon site that the publication date is not until 30 May which is next week.

In the meantime I have the site listed in my favourites for ease of checking.

Regards

Robert,

You are refering to Foley's book, "German Strategy and the Path to Verdun: Erich Von Falkenhayn and the Development of Attrition, 1870-1916?"

It came out in February, or March of this year, so I don't understand a publication date of 30 May(?)

33 pounds is the lowest price I've seen for it, but I will keep looking for you.

Best Regards,

Paul

• 11 months later...

I've finally made my way through this book and wanted to post my impressions.

The book eneded up being much more interesting than I had anticipated. I had debated buying it for some time, even after picking it up in the store to look at on more than one occasion.

Mombauer paints a convincing and clear picture of role the military played pre-war, and its overwhelming position in the government of pre-war Germany.

She shows clearly how, though the war may have not been premeditated by Germany, her military was looking for the excuse to launch war before the balance of power shifted away from the central alliance.

I found the book chilling from this aspect. The almost gleeful quotes from leading German figures about the July crisis are stunning in retrospect.

The book also provides a glimpse into the workings of government in the Kaiserreich, and the disconnect between the military and diplomatic strategies.

German military leaders believed they could win a war before 1916-17, but not after. The pace of the arms race was against Germany, and the civilian administration was unwilling to give the military the funding to raise more troops. These pressures all influenced men's thinking and attitudes before the war.

The book is a must for those wanting to better understand all that went into the powderkeg that was Europe in 1914 (to paraphrase another Moltke).

Paul

• 1 year later...

Great book. I fully endorse Paul's comments. There were two other aspects that struck me. The internecine feuding within the German military, and the direct relationship between the Kaiser and the Corps' commanders. I had not appreciated the latter before now.

Robert

Great book. I fully endorse Paul's comments. There were two other aspects that struck me. The internecine feuding within the German military, and the direct relationship between the Kaiser and the Corps' commanders. I had not appreciated the latter before now.

Robert

Robert,

I'm glad you found it interesting. Given your background and knowledge that's a great recommendation for the book.

You hit on a critical point on the feuding within the German military. I have been struck over and over at how widespead this was, and at how many levels.

This is also so important to remember when reading most literature written by ex-officers about the war, including Der Weltkrieg, the official German history. This permeates so much of the literature of the war that without having at least an awareness of it the reader can be fed the agenda of the writer without even knowing it.

Paul

This is also so important to remember when reading most literature written by ex-officers about the war, including Der Weltkrieg, the official German history.
Paul, a very important point. Mombauer brings this home very clearly, as does Foley in his book on Falkenhayn.

Robert

I was in Foyle's this afternoon and saw that this is now out in paperback. An absolute must buy!

How do the conclusions in this book compare to Fromkin in "Europe's Last Summer"? Fromkin pretty much lays the ultimate blame for the war at von Moltke's feet. From the reviews it sounds like this is similar?

I just finished reading Fromkin a couple of weeks ago, and would be curious to know if his views are supported elsewhere.

Rod

Rod, Mombauer certainly lays a significant proportion of the blame with the military, von Moltke included. Von Falkenhayn features prominently as well. Kaiser Wilhelm is portrayed as 'bellicose' at the outset of the Austro-Hungarian/Serbian confrontation, but rapidly changing to an anti-war stance. Likewise, there was a tendency for the politicians to look for options that delayed or prevented war. Von Moltke was prominent in pushing for war, based on his concern that Germany was rapidly loosing any chance of winning. Mombauer places great emphasis on the need to take Liege quickly and then out-manoeuvre France while she was still mobilising.

Robert