The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Great War Map Series

Paul Hederer

Morning all,

As some of you know I have been working on a Verdun map for the past year or so, trying to use color and other visual clues to help make terrain interpretation easier for the average person. I've experimented with a variety of formats and colors, and with the help of some good feedback have made modifications.

I feel that most contour maps are pretty darn hard reading and don't give the average user a good feel for "what is going on," as far as elevation goes and terrain features, such as the all important low, and slowly rising ridges of some First World War battlefields.

Here is an example of the Verdun map, shown 1/4 size:

Total.png

Close-up, at actual size:

close.png

For more examples, including an example with units displayed you can visit here:

More Maps Examples

I've been contacted repeatedly about the possibility of doing more maps in this style, and I wanted to ask here if there would be any interest in producing a series of battlefield maps for the Great War.

I ask this not as a commercial proposition, but simply because I want to see if there is enough interest out there to make it worth the time to produce any more maps like the one above.

The maps could be modified, or customized to include grids, elevation data, fortifications, or trenches (where such information is available) and units.

If there is interest in sufficient numbers I can do some research to see how much it would cost to have the maps printed, etc.

Some areas that have been suggested are The Somme, Cambrai, Ypres.

Paul

Paul,

I am no map reader! but having just looked at your maps it would certainly be better for me to understand, therefore I am on the YES PLEASE list.

Mandy

These examples are superb, Paul. I would be interested in buying some examples of any that you produce, and welcome similar ones for the Somme. While you are not doing this commercially, I would suggest you do a Somme map for the anniversary next year which would sell well and help finance maps of some other, less 'popular', areas of the front.

Paul,

I would be interested in the areas around High Wood so please add me to the list

Peter

I echo what everyone has written above. I think this is a great idea and would certainly be interested in maps of the Salient, Loos specifically but really all areas in general.

Andy

If there is interest in sufficient numbers I can do some research to see how much it would cost to have the maps printed, etc.

Oh yes please!

I have just added an article on Gallipoli to the WFA website with maps drawn by me, but yours are much better.

Howard

Hello,

Thanks to all for the kinds words. I use a CAD program to draw the maps, which makes it possible to rescale them anyway you like--This is especialy useful to make smaller maps of enlarged areas of interest.

Looks like the Somme would be something of interest. I can start gathering sources and see what it would look like as a project. I may ask for some input on what would be desirable, and useful.

Gallipoli would be a fascinating subject, and complex, much like the terrain at Verdun. I'll have to keep that in my back pocket.

Regards,

Paul

Looking forward to seeing your hard work Paul,

Mandy

Paul

Marvellous idea. I say go for it. I would imagine a market exists for a complete set on CD as well as in a printed format. Something on the lines of the trench map CD from naval and Military Press.

Garth

Paul - it looks like you have done a very good job. Depending on final cost please add my name to the interested parties.

Hello,

After some initial research on sources I see there is ample material for a map of the Somme area in the same style as the Verdun map.

I need to think about the scale and how much of the battlefield to cover, that is to include the French sector, or not.

Any inputs from forum members here as to what you would like to see is welcome and will be noted down.

The scale will either be 1:20,000 or 1:40,000, depending on how much of the area is included.

I may be asking some of you with the IWM trench map CD to look some things up for me. :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to this new project.

Cheers,

Paul

Any inputs from forum members here as to what you would like to see is welcome and will be noted down. 

The scale will either be 1:20,000 or 1:40,000, depending on how much of the area is included.

I may be asking some of you with the IWM trench map CD to look some things up for me.  :rolleyes:

Paul

Paul,

I would, for starters, do the British lines first, with a breakdown of the different parts of the front. ie.

Foncqevillers to Serre

Serre to Beaumont Hamel

Beaumont Hamel to Authuille

Authuille to La Boisselle

La Boisselle to Fricourt

Fricourt to Maricourt

This is suggested only, as others (Paul R) may have a better idea with regards to the topography and battles. Also these areas are in line with the opening phase of the Somme from the British aspect.

Could I suggest both scales with the closer scale for selected parts as above.

Also I have the CD so will only be too pleased to furnish you with info, etc

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the input. The scale is something that can be done. Since the map will be in CAD format it will be possible to produce maps of any scale without loss of detail.

Thanks for your offer of help. I'll be in contact.

Paul

Paul,

I notice that the CD trench maps are mostly 1:10,000 which is why there is so much detail.

Peter

Paul.

Take a look HERE for some trenchmap examples in 1:10,000 and 1:20,000 scale. If you need a larger format of any of them (or a wider view), just let me know.

Dave.

Guys,

Thanks for all the offers of help. I'm set on my initial map needs, and I will definitely be needing the trench maps later.

The project looks good so far.

I have been experimenting with 3D topo images, and here is an example:

topo.png

Paul

Hi Paul, :)

These maps are brilliant !! I also would be very interested in any Somme Maps you might do !!

Cheers

Tim.

Thanks for the kind comments,

Just an update: I've done the basic ground work for a map of the Somme. I'm trying to incorporate elevation data from the beginning, and not add it later as I did on the Verdun map.

The initial results are promising, and I hope to have some pictures to post for you guys early next week. To be honest what I learned doing the Verdun map puts me about 10 steps ahead of where I started with that project.

I'm working on a method to extract the data from the trench maps and drape only the trenches over 3D terrain to give true perspective. I haven't quite got that bit figured out yet, but I have a theory :)

I wish I knew more about programming. It would be possible to produce a 3D map bundle, with elevation and geo information, to use on a computer that would allow anyone visiting the battlefield with a GPS to use it as a moving map display, or just for research.

Cheers,

Paul

Brilliant work, let me know if you intend to cover the Ypres Salient at some point, I would be very interested in this area.

Regards

John

Paul,

your maps are quite superb and the 3D ones stunning - put me on the list please.

Squirrel

Sorry, was hoping to have something more finished to show this week, but work got in the way.

I've been working on techniques for "draping" my maps over terrain data, and the final results are quite nice.

This is an example of my Verdun map, and I should be able to get the same results with this new Somme map:

Verdun3d.png

Paul

The maps are great. I would prefer more of Verdun and east wards to the Somme.

I wonder whether anyone has thought of marketing any of those relief displays that used to be quite common?

I mean those that there made in plastic and were literally relief models of different areas. I see the odd one from time to time in tourist areas, but a set showing the whole of the western front and other areas would be popular I'm sure.

I know I would buy half a dozen of the Ardennes and St. Mihiel salient regions. They would save an awful lot of explanations and could be marked out for different battles, and times and so on.

Paul

Brilliant maps!!

The style that you are using and topographical information make interpretation of the battlefields so much easier>

There must be a market for your skills and final product. I would certainly be happy to pay for a CD containing the main battlefields of the Western Front.

Dave