The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Forgotten Scottish Voices from The Great War

dycer

Tempus Publishing Ltd-ISBN 0 7524 3326 1-Price £17-99.

248 Pages plus Photographs,acknowledgements and Index.

Official Summary "A vivid picture of what it was like to be a Scottish Soldier in the First World War......Derek Young has rescued a treasure trove of personal letters and diaries from the Archives-Trevor Young"

I stumbled across this Book by chance in Ottakar's Bookshop in Aberdeen last week.

My own thoughts.

Most Theatres covered including UK,France ,Gallipoli and the Middle East.In France the Author concentrates more on Aubers and Loos and less on the Somme and 3rd Ypres.Subjects cover from "Over the Bags" to "Food".There is little Scottish dialect so it is easily readable by all and all Regiments are mentioned although not all Battalions.The Book gives a general insight into the life of a Soldier during the War,both sombre and humerous.As the Author uses Junior Offices and Other Ranks Diaries and Letters there is little tactical information.

On a personal note.

It is nice to see the 8th Royal Scots mentioned even if it is only a cartoon of the Officers queueing up for the Bath-house.

I've not seen this book reviewed before but sorry if I have duplicated an earlier thread.

George

• 4 years later...

I am very interested in contacting Mr Young. A forum member did give me an email address for him, but am not sure if he received my email. I never received a reply, and I can't locate the old post, or the email as I now have a new system, email etc.

In this book he quotes from letters written by a Cpl Ian MacLaren, who was KIA on 13th November 1916. Am convinced now that this is Cpl Ian Donald MacLaren 1/6th Black Watch, from Aberfeldy, and I would obviously be interested in reading all these letters if possible. If anyone can put me in touch with him, I would be very grateful.

Cheers Mike

Mike,

Is it worth trying to contact him via the Book publishers,i.e. Tempus?

George

I will give that a go. Thanks George. It took me a while to convince myself that the Ian MacLaren, I am researching, was the same as the man mentioned in the book. As, over the year, got to know their details, am now pretty certain this is the man. I am also now, pretty sure, his brother Malcolm, was known as " Mol " ( in the family ) If can contact Mr Young, can prove it.

I wonder what else there waiting out there?

Cheers Mike