The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Artillery Shell Markings

Ralph J. Whitehead

I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying some details on the base of a 4.5 In. Howitzer shell casing. The shell casing was found in a plowed field just outside of Mouquet farm near the Australian Memorial plaque. The casing is almost complete, just some damage to the upper rim.

The bottom edge has a number of markings still visible:

"No. 1" over the Roman number "II", 1916 (Manufacturing date I assume), lot No. 2190, 1/16 next to the lot number (manufactured January 1916?). the manufacturer is probably U.S. as there is a US inside of a circle near the primer. The Manufacturer initials are EWB Co. The rim is marked with a number of initials and the dead giveaway 4.5 in How. The is also a large CF that I assume relates to a cordite charge.

Does anyone know what the manufacturer initials stand for? Also, does anyone know of any 4.5 in Howitzer gun battery that might have been stationed near Mouquet Farm in late 1916 or early 1917 or beyond. My guess is that it was stationed there after the Somme offensive.

Any help would be appreciated. I also picked up a fuze of an 18 Pounder shrapnel shell a few feet away but from an earlier period it seems considering it was probably the target area when it was fired. Both were dredged up by the plow and lying by the edge of the field near the road.

I look forward to hearing from the experts out there.

Ralph

Ralph.

You may find this of some interest (from "Notes on the ammunition for QF 13pdr, QF 18pdr and QF 4.5 inch Howitzer" HMSO 1916)...

Dave

post-8-1058766369.jpg

Dave, Thanks for the schematic on the shell casing. It seems that the information I was looking for is not available. Hopefully I will at least identify the manufacturer by checking the records from that period.

All the best,

Ralph

Ralph

The US in a circle is the mark of the United States Cartridge Co. and EWB Co is E W Bliss & Co. USA. regret I don't have a location for the factories.

Mike

Thank You very much Mike, The information is quite useful. I now have somewhere to start. It was in remarkably good condition being in the ground for 86 years.

Ralph

I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying some details on the base of a 4.5 In. Howitzer shell casing. The shell casing was found in a plowed field just outside of Mouquet farm near the Australian Memorial plaque. The casing is almost complete, just some damage to the upper rim.

The bottom edge has a number of markings still visible:

"No. 1" over the Roman number "II", 1916 (Manufacturing date I assume), lot No. 2190, 1/16 next to the lot number (manufactured January 1916?). the manufacturer is probably U.S. as there is a US inside of a circle near the primer. The Manufacturer initials are EWB Co. The rim is marked with a number of initials and the dead giveaway 4.5 in How. The is also a large CF that I assume relates to a cordite charge.

Does anyone know what the manufacturer initials stand for? Also, does anyone know of any 4.5 in Howitzer gun battery that might have been stationed near Mouquet Farm in late 1916 or early 1917 or beyond. My guess is that it was stationed there after the Somme offensive.

Any help would be appreciated. I also picked up a fuze of an 18 Pounder shrapnel shell a few feet away but from an earlier period it seems considering it was probably the target area when it was fired. Both were dredged up by the plow and lying by the edge of the field near the road.

I look forward to hearing from the experts out there.

Ralph

If you have a boxfull of shell cases you will find virtually the whole alphabet stamped on the bases!

CF denotes a Full charge of Cordite, CR is also used for a Reduced charge. Is there a "sword" symbol by EBW? - I believe this is the manufacturing mark of this company. 1/16 is the original date of manufacture. Most cases were salvaged and re-used - perhaps more than once - the manufacture of a case is complicated and very expensive. Is there an "A" within a circle? - this indicates the shell has been fired once, a punch mark following denotes a subsequent firing etc.

Other marks on the shell or primer within a circle/diamond etc will be inspection quality control or process marks - CS, R, U, FG, S etc. There may also be numbers in a circle denoting the grade of brass etc.

giles, I appreciate your information and help. I am not very well versed in British markings and while I can guess at some, others are a mystery. I did some restoration work and the attached photo is the best I can do to show some of the items near the center. I am going to map it all out as there are other marks and letters on the rim, the date, the arrow symbol and other initials. Thanks once again, I appreciate all of the help.

Ralph

post-8-1059339185.jpg

Ralph

From Treatise on Ammunition 1915.

1. Mark of empty case

2. Manfacturers initials

3 Date of manufacture

4 Annealed twice

5. Life of case

6. Batch letter and number of annealing.

post-8-1059342885.jpg

• 2 years later...

Is there a handy list for WWI artillery cartridge case markings as there is for .303?