The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Great War and modern memory

Antonio83

This work of the american Paul Fussell is one on my favourite books on the cultural aspects of the Great War. It's really a stepping stone in his territory.

Fussell studies the trench life of the British army and, using a great number of literary sources, shows the heritages of the Great war in the modern British memory and culture. The analysis of the verses and memoirs of Sassoon, Blunden, Owen and Graves is very sharp and intense.

Surely a great work: what do you think about it?

I found it a great read; although I know what you mean about being a bit intimidated by Fussell's erudition, his grasp of the literary and cultural sources does leave one with a clear impression of the colossal impact the Great War has had on our society.

I would quite like to see an updated version to take account of the last 30 years though (wasn't it published in the 1970s?).

Cheers,

Ste

It is an extraordinary book but Fussell does intimidate the reader by his sheer weight of scholarship.

I agree Ian, I felt a little out of my depth with some of Fussells vocabulary and referencing.

Not that that's wrong mind, just it made finishing the book a "difficult read".

• 5 years later...

I found it a great read; although I know what you mean about being a bit intimidated by Fussell's erudition, his grasp of the literary and cultural sources does leave one with a clear impression of the colossal impact the Great War has had on our society.

I would quite like to see an updated version to take account of the last 30 years though (wasn't it published in the 1970s?).

Cheers,

Ste

Got this one for Christmas and it is what I would consider a 'heavywieight' read. I agree with other commentators that Fussell's style is undeniably scholarly but can be hard going. Having said that it is one of these books that for me will require a second reading.

I read the 25th anniversary edition which contains an interesting reflective paragraph where the author considers what he would have written differently. It contains an interesting statement where the author explains that he would not now assume ... so much general interest in British prose and poetry. He then goes on to say that in the last twenty-five year the English literary tradtiion has.. grown increasingly irrelevant , a fact seeming to suggest that literary relevance and world political and military power are perhpas two faces of the same thing. A challenging statement and a good quote to frame an essay question!

Billy

Fussell does intimidate the reader by his sheer weight of scholarship.

I felt a little out of my depth with some of Fussells vocabulary and referencing.

Not that that's wrong mind, just it made finishing the book a "difficult read".

I couldn't agree more gentlemen, this is tough going. Not really what I expected, but am making an effort to get through it. Figure there is something to learn and gain from the perspective, but yes... getting to that goal is a challenge.

Andy

Paul Fussell was brilliant and compelling in the documentary series 'The War' on the TV channel Yesterday last night talking about his experiences as an infantry lieutenant in the Vosges in 1944. He is a professor of literature and The Great War and Modern Memory is a highly influential work of literary criticism which has tended to irritate many historians for its purely literary perspective. I think John Terraine said that it gave the impression that the Great War was fought between the German army and the English middle classes.

I think John Terraine said that it gave the impression that the Great War was fought between the German army and the English middle classes.

You mean it wasn't?

Seriously, I read this book about 20 to 25 years ago (it's still at home somewhere), and I can honestly say it made such an impression on me that I can't remember a thing about it!

• 2 years later...

good evening,

I'm bringing up this topic again, because I just finished the book. i went to great lenght to find it, as most universities in Belgium or France don't have the book. so finally found it, really happy, but am now deeply dissappointed. You were right here when saying it is a difficult read, and very scholarly. Maybe it's because mu english is not native, but there were times when i was completely lost.

But I also have to agree with Dan Todman, when he writes: Rather then conducting wide research, he expressed his own prejudice and then selected the texts he needed to support his case. He therefore blinded himself to the variety of different literary reactions to the war. (The Great War - Myth and Memories, p. 158)

Are there others who share this meaning??

Marilyne