The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HMS Changuinola

Mark2o

HMS Changuinola

Does anyone by chance have any information on the Armed Merchant Cruiser, HMS Changuinola. What her stations where she sailed and possible activites during WW-1.

Thanks

HMS Changuinola

Does anyone by chance have any information on the Armed Merchant Cruiser, HMS Changuinola. What her stations where she sailed and possible activites during WW-1.

Thanks

HMS CHANGUINOLA 5978 gross tons, built in 1912, 15.5 kts (Good for 14.5 kts)(Owners: Elders & Fyffes). Armament:6 x 6", 2 x 3pdr. Complement 217. Hired as AMC 21/11/14. Released 17/1/20. Formerly CARL SCHURZ.

Joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron on 12/1/15 and remained with this squadron and the Northern Patrol until December, 1917 when she was detached and appointed to convoy duties, initially to Halifax (the 10th Cruiser Squadron ceased to exist on 8/12/17).

HMS CHANGUINOLA 5978 gross tons, built in 1912, 15.5 kts (Good for 14.5 kts)(Owners: Elders & Fyffes). Armament:6 x 6", 2 x 3pdr. Complement 217. Hired as AMC 21/11/14. Released 17/1/20. Formerly CARL SCHURZ.

Joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron on 12/1/15 and remained with this squadron and the Northern Patrol until December, 1917 when she was detached and appointed to convoy duties, initially to Halifax (the 10th Cruiser Squadron ceased to exist on 8/12/17).

Ionia,

Thanks for the reply. I was asking because I just picked up a Royal Navy LS medal to a chap that served on her. Was curious as this was the first that I had personaly seen named to a an Armed Merchant Cruiser.

Thanks so much :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Here are the wartime deaths in CHANGUINOLA

KENNETT JOSEPH W. SHIPWRIGHT 2c 134070

CHANGUINOLA 02/06/15 ILLNESS

NEWMAN SIDNEY G. MASTER AT ARMS (RFR A 2524) 350066 (Po) CHANGUINOLA 08/09/16 ILLNESS

PENNINGTON JOHN P.W. A.B., RNVR MERSEY Z 1741 CHANGUINOLA 16/03/17 ILLNESS

WATSON HENRY B. A.B., RNVR MERSEY Z 1824 CHANGUINOLA 14/02/18 DROWNING

ISAAC FREDERICK W. CHIEF GUNNER CHANGUINOLA 30/01/19 DROWNING

don

• 3 weeks later...
HMS Changuinola

Thanks

My Grandfather served on the HMS Changuinola most of the ww1 and i have his service records. its been very difficult to find out any information about the ships active service apart from the Halifax Explosion.

I have searched for a photo for years but never managed to find one maybe someone can help.

• 5 weeks later...
HMS Changuinola

Thanks

I have some information about the HMS Changuinola and a picture of 2 seaman who served on her one my grandad the other unknown.

I know of a book about the HMS Changuinola which i am waiting to get hold of.

• 16 years later...