Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Obituries - Northwich Guardian Cheshire

BULLDOGFOGG

Pals i have recently found the obituries of my relatives. As a consequence i have photos and write ups for the following soldiers, i will gladly pass these on to any interested pals:

Northwich Guardian Friday July 21 1916: Key - O = Obituary P = Photo

Sgt William Pickering KIA Cheshire Regt - OP

Cpl A Bradbury KIA East Lancashire Regt - OP

Pte John Sandland KIA Manchester Pals - OP

Pte Harry Hornby KIA Cheshire Regt - O

Pte Samuel Frith Mears KIA Cheshire Regt - OP

Sgt H Wilkinson DOW Cheshire Regt - OP

Pte George Cragg KIA Machine Gun section Cheshire Regt - OP

Pte Joseph Gregory DOW Cheshire Regt - OP

Pte T Abbot DOW Cheshire Regt - OP

Pte Norman Ernest Mendes KIA Manchester Pals - O

Sgt Joe Bunkall KIA Cheshire Regt - O

Pte G Coppock KIA Cheshire Regt - OP

Pte H Hubbard KIA Cheshire Regt - O (DCM)

Pte William Silver MIA Cheshire Territorials - OP

Pte Joseph Shaw KIA Cheshire Regt - OP

Pte Joseph Yardley KIA Cheshire Regt - O

Able Seamn Joshua Eyres MIA RNVR - OP

Ive got a couple more sheets and ill add them when i can.

Regards

Kevin

What's your interest Kevin?

I'm from Northwich - Barnton, Rudheath and Davenham.

Hi Kevin,

If you have anything about anyone from the 1/7th Cheshires I would be grateful.

The info is for a friend who is compiling a list of men of the 1/7th.

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Bulldogfogg

Can i get the one for Pte's Sandland & Mendas Manchester Regt cheers Roy

themonsstar

Ptes Sandland and Mendas

Sorry it took so long, you may have to zoom in to read the text, im afraid its a copy of a fairly poor photocopy.

Hi Kevin,

If you have anything about anyone from the 1/7th Cheshires I would be grateful.

The info is for a friend who is compiling a list of men of the 1/7th.

Regards,

Steve

Steve

The newspaper only refers to the casualties as Cheshire Regiment and not individual Bns. Sorry. If you think any of the names match then ill gladly scan them in for you.

Regards

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Any Idea where I might find obit for Northwich Guardian 1917. My great uncle was killed in action this year. Lived in Lostock Northwich Cheshire. Im from Weaverham.

I live fairly locally too. I believe my grandad joined up from there. He was severely wounded on 6 August 1917.

My grandmother actually saved some newspaper cuttings from the time and I have them. They are incredibly fragile. As I wrote elsewhere, as fragile as the wing of a moth.

I have taken photos of the exterior and interior of the remaining drill hall in Northwich for Graeme’s Drill Hall Project, should they be of any interest as part of someone’s story. If I can take local or regional photos for anyone when I’m out and about, I will.

The drill hall in Darwin Street was in use by the Cheshire Regiment (5th) (Earl of Chester’s) Battalion D Company. The one in Navigation Road was the Yeomanry (C Squadron). The latter drill hall no longer exists.

There was also a drill hall in Leftwich on London Road, by the Volunteer Inn. It has been demolished.

Gwyn

minnicoop

If you visit the Chester records and enquire there, they will allow you to search the relevant papers. Remember to search a few months beyond the death date and if he was wounded prior to death he may well have had a write up for that too. So search for that too. The staff will show you how to use the microfiche and give you a bit of a tour, they are very helpfull. Good luck.

Kevin

• 4 years later...

hi...

i know this is an old post but i was browsing through the forum and came upon it..

i would be very interested if i could get a copy of the obituary for joseph yardley as he was my girlfriends great grandad.

many thanks

vic

The original poster hasn't been seen on the forum since the end of 2008. If no-one else offers, I'm happy to look up in the Northwich newspapers next time I'm in Northwich. There were actually two Northwich papers, the Guardian and another, and both are on film in the Library.

If you're local, and want to do this yourself, the library staff are very helpful. You need to book a screen-reader slot to be sure of having access to one.

Gwyn

hi gwyn.....

i appreciate that thank you...

it is a little far for me to journey.

i have been researching joseph yardley and have read the book 34 men of moulton in which he is mentioned.....

what i'd really like to find is a photograph as there are no known photos within the family.

anything you could find would be greatfully appreciated....

many thanks

vic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin

B) Many thanks for the list of these Cheshire lads. Unfortunately none of them are from my list of 1st Bn men, but I appreciate the thought in listing them for us.

Cheers mate

Graham

• 3 years later...

hi i am also from your local area. my great uncle was from northwich. he was killed on the 20th of sep not long after your great uncle. he is on the war memorial at st marys in weaverham frank stockton 10775, along with his brother joseph stockton.

regards mark

• 4 years later...

Hi 

I am not sure if this is still a live topic, but my husband and I have recently started our family tree and one of the names mentioned on bulldogfogg posts is our great uncle George Cragg who was killed in action at Flanders.  Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Just to say that the original poster has not visited this site since 2008.

BillyH.

6 hours ago, Belinda Cragg said:

Hi 

I am not sure if this is still a live topic, but my husband and I have recently started our family tree and one of the names mentioned on bulldogfogg posts is our great uncle George Cragg who was killed in action at Flanders.  Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Recommend you start a new thread with your ancestor’s name and unit. Any details known about him would be useful to help find his details. 

I am assuming at the moment he is the George Cragg Cheshire Regiment killed in action 9/7/1916. Name is The Thiepval Memorial. This implies early part of the Battle of the Somme in France rather than in Flanders, Belgium

if it is him he was in 10th Battalion. His Effects went to his father, Samuel. Number is .14045. If that is him some of his service papers exist that will allow you to build a picture of his service and a probable location of death. Let us know and we can then research with some certainty we have the right man. This man seemed to spend the whole of his overseas service with the 10th Cheshires 

Edited by Mark1959