The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim

I have just been looking through your list and noticed you have a request for pictures in NEWPORT (but you have it listed as Glamorganshire when it is actually Gwent) I live in Newport how can I help?.

regards

Andy

2 hours ago, Docker31 said:

Hi Jim

I have just been looking through your list and noticed you have a request for pictures in NEWPORT (but you have it listed as Glamorganshire when it is actually Gwent) I live in Newport how can I help?.

regards

Andy

Thank you, Andy. There is said to be a mosaic commemorating Caroline Maud Edwards, QARRNS, died 1915 in St. Pauls Walk, Newport. If not too far out, I need a photograph of the headstone of Ada Florence Morgan, VAD, died 1919 which is in St. John the Baptist churchyard, Penhow. There are four women listed in the Newport Roll of Honour - a remembrance Book in Newport reference library. I do not know how accessible the book is or if the librarian will allow photographing their names. The names are of four of thes - Gertrude Dyer,  Annie Alice Guy, Lilian Kate Jones, Frances Mary Dulcie Llewellyn-Jones, Violet Phillips, Beatrice Olivette White

Hi Jim

They shouldn't be to much of a problem, but bear with me and I will see what I can do over the next week or so.

Not sure if this may be of interest but if you go on the following website

www.shaunmcguire.co.uk

It is a site dedicated to Newport's War Dead and has copies of portrait photo's for EDWARDS and GUY and also pictures of the headstones for DYER, LLEWELLYN-JONES and PHILLIPS and also the WW1 memorial shield for WHITE.

Andy

Not on your list but thought this may be relevant. Located at Memorial Park, Condobolin, in western NSW.

Staff Nurse Elizabeth McGregor

image.jpeg.261886eb2901c9bcb26b74f6c11f32f5.jpeg

IMG_7429.JPG.c9ef9b187aaa989785579971e1e44965.JPGIMG_7422.JPG.2cd0d23cd7b113df9183de0ca68d1426.JPG

20 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

Not on your list but thought this may be relevant. Located at Memorial Park, Condobolin, in western NSW.

Staff Nurse Elizabeth McGregor

She is most definitely on my list - under New South Wales, Manly (that is where her grave is). But I didn't know about this fairly new memorial and the memorial plaque so thank you for letting me know of it's existence.  I will still leave Manly on my list as I still require a photograph of her grave. Again, thank you.

The quarantine station where she died is at North Head, now part of a national park,

Manly is the nearest inhabited area, now a suburb of Sydney. The grave is actually out at the quarantine station.

Larger memorial image loading...

www.findagrave.com/memorial/158899329/elizabeth-mcgregor/photo

Edited by Chasemuseum

The cemetery, View across the harbour entrance to South Head. Sydney CBD is across the harbour to the right, with the towers

CEM2520034_b9e68dc7-7c57-4d21-91c2-16f971a21130.jpeg?size=photos1024

CEM2520034_4cbd4340-461e-466b-a9c5-338b7319eab0.jpeg?size=photos1024

If you ever go there, take heed of the warning on the notice.

- It talks about wildlife being protected - the area has a lots of bandicoots. These are a marsupial native rat. They are immune to the paralysis tick and spread them widely.

- There is also a warning on the notice about ticks. This area is lousy with them. Over the last 20 years the paralysis ticks on the north side of Sydney have been spreading a "Limes like disease". For some people this causes very severe illness. The main thing about tick management is if you are going into a tick area, check yourself over as soon as you can when you leave and remove ticks as soon as possible.

The paralysis tick is really good at killing cats and dogs. Be very careful of your pets.

Back on topic - Nurse McGregor