The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Whats the Most Anyone has Spent on a Book?

Ciaran Byrne

My max for a book I really wanted would be around £250-300 until I win the million on the Premium Bonds :D

Dear All,

My limit would be 150 pounds for a book; 1550 Pounds for a medal group

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Buying a book from a catalogue or from a website such as

ABE removes one of my "cost-benefit" inhibitions. My old fashioned physical method applies in a bookshop.

1.look at book avoiding price tag

2. Ask myself what price I am prepared to pay

3. Look at price and decide to buy or haggle or walk away.

Regarding max price, I have a very  very long run of Kings and Queens Regs or their interim amendments from 1799 to 1975, none of which breached 80 pounds and most less than 50.

To be fair I started in about 1980 when KR 1914 was a fiver.

My current quest is affordable 1899 by the way!

I think my most expensive purchase was £300 for a jacketed copy of ' Other Ranks' , but I did manage to sell my unjacketed copy for £200 * .

One of my favourite ' best buys ' was a first edition jacketed copy of ' Old Soldiers Never Die ' which I got for £30 on e-bay . It made a guest

appearance on the B.B.C documentary ' War of Words: Soldier Poets of the Somme' , well a copy they made of my dust jacket did anyway.

* Seen an unjacketed copy sell for £800 + recently and someone asking £3000 for one on Amazon !

While at Aldershot Library yesterday I came across a copy of Harvey's 5th Lancers book in the military collection at Aldershot Library. I would speculate there is at least another copy of it and possibly the earlier 1908 book in Aldershot at the Prince Consort's Library.

£200 on a pristine former Army and Navy Club Library copy of Stacke's Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War — just before it came out on CDROM... it is lovely mind... 

I bought a copy of the 17th Lancers' history in the GW not too long ago for just north of £300 (it's a lovely book and a joy to behold), and I have a few others in the £200 - £250 bracket. Negotiations will be opened over the weekend on purchasing a copy of the Scottish book I have been mithering about elsewhere. For me, I'd pay whatever it took if I really wanted the book ... unfortunately if I get caught it's Goodnight Vienna.

One reason retirement looks less appetising is that I won't have an office to which dangerous purchases can be sent.

1 hour ago, Simon_Fielding said:

£200 on a pristine former Army and Navy Club Library copy of Stacke's Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War — just before it came out on CDROM... it is lovely mind... 

My copy, sadly, is less than pristine, but not in bad nick, and for £95 I'm not complaining.

And so much nicer than a CDRom.

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

One reason retirement looks less appetising is that I won't have an office to which dangerous purchases can be sent.

Possible autobiography title: Confessions from the Post Room....

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

Retirement?

Until you are 50, you never think of it. After 50, you never think of anything else.

I was thinking of it at 16 :)

2 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Retirement?

Until you are 50, you never think of it. After 50, you never think of anything else.

To be fair, I waited until I was 60, and as time goes by I think of retirement more than I think of ... well, to be fair, I've forgotten what it was I used to think about a lot.

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

To be fair, I waited until I was 60, and as time goes by I think of retirement more than I think of ... well, to be fair, I've forgotten what it was I used to think about a lot.

I retired 13 years ago when I was 57 and I find I now spend far more on books than I did when I was working - no mortgage, no commuting costs, a few inheritances - I can't recommend it enough.

Edited by Dust Jacket Collector
Missed word.

24 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I retired 13 years ago when I was 57 and I find I now spend far more on books than I did when I was working - no mortgage, no commuting costs, a few inheritances - I can't recommend it enough.

Hmm- It.s the last bit that is holding me up-lack of inheritances. I think this where we need to remind ourselves of Getty's (the miserable one) 3 golden rules for getting rich-all 6 words of it:

Rule 1-Rise Early

Rule 2- Work Hard

Rule 3-Strike Oil

10 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Hmm- It.s the last bit that is holding me up-lack of inheritances. I think this where we need to remind ourselves of Getty's (the miserable one) 3 golden rules for getting rich-all 6 words of it:

Rule 1-Rise Early

Rule 2- Work Hard

Rule 3-Strike Oil

Well, I managed number 1.

My search for Sword of the North may have reached an end, but it will lead to me buying my most expensive book and the Divorce Courts. Well, if I get caught it will

Just now, Steven Broomfield said:

Well, I managed number 1.

My search for Sword of the North may have reached an end, but it will lead to me buying my most expensive book and the Divorce Courts. Well, if I get caught it will

That little box in the corners of your posts is a little worrying for your long-term welfare:

"c.c. Mrs Broomfield"

:(

22 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

My wife says "its still there, why do you keep checking every 20 minutes".

Old habits die fairly hard.