The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

96th Light Railway Coy Royal Engineers

Doug Lewis

Could anybody tell me anything about the Light Railway Coy Royal Engineers.

Thanks Doug

Chris

Thanks for the direction to the information,it has helped such a lot.The man Im researching was with the 96th LRC which embarked for Egypt 2nd Dec 1917 unfortunately he approached Egypt aboard the ARAGON which as we know from a previous post this week was torpedoed and along with 609 others he died at sea.

Thanks

Doug

• 3 months later...

Doug,

I've only just stumbled across your interest in RMS ARAGON in your post of 14 Aug. Thetford Grammar School pupil Victor Woods was killed when she was lost and I am trying to build as full a picture as possible of the voyage and the sinking. If you have anything which you think might illumine the story for me I would be delighted to hear from you. I was interested to hear of the presence of your railway unit.

Regards,

David

David

The only information I have is as follows (you may already know ).

Troopship Aragon sailed from Marseilles 17/12/17 for Egypt with 2.700 people aboard.She arrived at Alexandria Harbour at the end of her voyage 30/12/17 but was ordered out again into the open sea to wait because there was no berth available. While waiting outside of the harbour she either hit a mine or was torpedoed by UC34 with the loss of 609 lives The destroyer HMS Attack came to her aid and was also attacked and sunk by UC34.

I'm researching William Dawes Sapper with 96th Light Rly Operating Coy Royal Engineers.

Regards Doug

Doug,

Many thanks for your reply. As you surmise I have all this info. Am always seeking more, however, and would be delighted to hear from you if you come across anything else.

Regards,

David