The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

J Sherley

roger

Thanks to the help I recieved from Arthur, who did look ups for me on SDGW I now have only one man on Bedale war memorial to identify. I have just been back and had another look and now realise I had spelt his name wrong when I copied it into my "spotters" notebook ;)

The name should've read J SHERLEY not SHIRLEY.

I have found one match on the CWGC site and that is,

J SHERLEY

Captain

attd. 70th Bde. , Royal Field Artillery

who died on

Tuesday 27 November 1917 . Age 51 .

Son of the late William Rolfe Sherley and Rebecca Sherley of Twickenham; husband of Jessie Sherley of 39 Zetland Street, Southport, Lancs.

GOUZEAUCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERYNord, France

The problem I have is what was his connection with Bedale? Or does anyone know of any J Sherley's that are not on the CWGC site?

Cheers,

Roger

Roger

The only Sherley on ODGW is the man you gave in your post ,the only info to add is

he was in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, as you are aware ODGW dont give place of birth.

The only Sherley in SDGW is a Charles.

Doug

Roger,

There is nothing found relating to this name amongst the SDGW.

ODGW = Additional information to what you alreadty have:

Royal Army Veterinary Corps

James SHERLEY

Captain [TP]

KIA 27 November 1917

Arthur

Doug, Arthur,

Although I'm no nearer thanks very much for looking. Just had a sudden rush of inspiration and looked on the 1901 census and he he there, a vet in

Twickenham

Roger.

As a vet, he may have been in practice in several locations before the war - including Bedale. Assuming it is your man, then an avenue for investigation would be to look in the 'adverts section' of pre-war editions of the local newspaper or in a pre-war Business Directiory. Both of these publications should be available at the nearest Archives Office.

Good Luck ! :)

Andy.

Cheers Andy,

The search will go on. I'm sure this is the fella but will keep looking until I find some evidence to link him to Bedale. Shouldn't be too difficult it's only a small place ;)

I just know I shouldn't have said that!

Roger.

Roger,

1901 census suggests he lived with his wife Jessie (34), children William (5) and Gladys (9) and mother Rebeccah (77) in Twickenham.

His wife was born "Ches Cuddington". Mother born Twickenham.

There are no N.Yorks Sherleys listed at all so it would seem likely that his relationship with Bedale is professional with any local residency linked with this.

Ian,

I've got a few avenues to go down but what little evidence I have would suggest he was a vet in Bedale at some time. I'm going to try the local museum on Monday just as a start.

Cheers,

Roger

• 4 months later...

A breakthrough today :D

It seems a long time since I asked this question on the forum. Today in the library while looking through a box file of all kinds of stuff I found a photocopy of Kelly's Directory 1913 and found this,

Henry James Sherley MRCVS

Veterinary Surgeon

Emgate

Bedale

I had to share this as my wife and kids don't share my enthusiasm.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was only one AVC officer killed during the war. I find it difficult to believe but if it is correct this would make Captain Sherley that man.

Roger

Good to hear you have finally found your man.

Regards Doug

Doug,

I was actually trying to find info on Lt. Col Lawson who is also on the war memorial, the subject of another thread, and found Capt. Sherley by pure chance.

• 3 months later...

The last time I posted on this thread it was a breakthrough :D now have found something that I can't explain ;)

I typed Capt. Sherley's name into the London Gazette search page and found this published 2nd November 1915,

Army Veterinary Corps

Temporary Lieutenent James Sherley relinquishes his commision. Dated 22nd October 1915.

Any ideas????

Roger.