The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Surrey Recruitment Registers

borstal

Charles,

How's the MK1 eyball! I've had a chance to try matching names in the SRR by importing a table into ACCESS and using a query which matches name and initial in that table against that in the SRR. It does mean that I had to use the same technique I talked about before to generate a new version of the SRR table to include a "first initial" column. So like yourself my "Automated" match would be for BLOGGS J in my table against any BLOGGS J in the SRR. In my case, as I'm only looking for casualties at the moment, I can add the additional constraint of the "attestdate" being less than the "date died".

The beauty about relational database software is the anwser to a query is always a table. You can make this permanent by turning a "select" query into a "make table query" and export it to Excel for further numerical analysis if need be, or if you just want to keep the result - such as a long list to check through.

So it's back to looking through my 2000 row list....

Chris.

Thank you Chris for the Tuckers, none seem to match yet, the one I am looking for was born in 1885 in October in Battersea and living Larch Road Balham if that helps at all, he is the most elusive man I know!! Judging by photos height would be 5ft 6in or under.

Regards

Christina

Just to let people know it is also on sale at the NA for £15, obviously no postage, got mine and I am still trying to fathom it all out.

Andy :rolleyes:

Just to let people know it is also on sale at the NA for £15, obviously no postage, got mine and I am still trying to fathom it all out.

Andy :rolleyes:

Should keep you busy (as if you had nothing else to do :D )

RB breakdown is:

REGIMENT Count of Entries

LONDON REGIMENT (5TH BATN) 1

LONDON RIFLE BRIGADE 2

RIFLE BRIGADE 405

RIFLE BRIGADE (15TH BATN) 2

RIFLE BRIGADE (17TH BATN) 1

RIFLE BRIGADE (1ST BATN) 3

RIFLE BRIGADE (20TH BATN) 1

RIFLE BRIGADE (25TH BATN) 13

RIFLE BRIGADE (25TH RESERVE 24

RIFLE BRIGADE (25TH RESERVE 3

RIFLE BRIGADE (3RD BATN) 1

RIFLE BRIGADE (4TH BATN) 2

RIFLE BRIGADE (53RD TSB) 3

RIFLE BRIGADE (53RD YSB) 235

RIFLE BRIGADE (5TH BATN) 52

RIFLE BRIGADE (6TH BATN) 19

RIFLE BRIGADE (7TH & 5TH BATN) 9

RIFLE BRIGADE (7TH& 5TH BATN) 1

RIFLE BRIGADE (BAND) 1

RIFLE BRIGADE (DEPOT) 3

RIFLE BRIGADE (RESERVE GARRISON 3

RIFLE BRIGADE (RESERVE 2

RIFLE BRIGADEE 1

THE RIFLE BRIGADE 1

Found one of my RB men killed at HOOGE on 30 July 1915, one out of three in fact, which ain't bad.

It's good to know it's available at the NA.

Chris,

You guessed my interest in this CD as I knew of a few from that area.

Andy

Chris,

You guessed my interest in this CD as I knew of a few from that area.

Andy

Not hard really. One unit I'm trying to make sense of is the 53rd TSB/YSB. As you can see from this list recruits posted there seemed already to have been ear-marked for a given regiment. I'm wondering how this worked out in practice.

REGIMENT Count of Entries

53RD TRAINING RESERVE BATN 1

53RD YOUNG SOLDIERS BATN 7

53RD YS BATN 1

53RD YS BATN (ALDERSHOT) 9

53RD YSB ALDERSHOT 3

BEDFORDSHIRE REGIMENT (53RD BATN) 1

BEDFORDSHIRE REGIMENT (53RD YSB OTC) 1

BEDFORDSHIRE REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 219

DEVONSHIRE REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 6

EAST KENT REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 1

EAST SURREY REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 1

HAMPSHIRE REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 10

KINGS ROYAL RIFLE CORPS (53RD BATN) 9

KINGS ROYAL RIFLE CORPS (53RD YSB) 250

MANCHESTER REGIMENT (53RD BATN) 1

MIDDLESEX REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 321

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 5

RIFLE BRIGADE (53RD TSB) 3

RIFLE BRIGADE (53RD YSB) 235

ROYAL FUSILIERS (53RD YSB) 331

ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY (53RD YSB) 3

ROYAL SUSSEX REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 266

ROYAL SUSSEX REGIMENT (53RD YSB)) 4

ROYAL WEST SURREY REGIMENT (53RD YSB 1

ROYAL WEST SURREY REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 266

WARWICKSHIRE REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 9

WELSH REGIMENT (53RD YSB) 1

Just one thing I would like to add here to this thread, having gone through the registers for about 5 days now I am finding a few anomolies here and there, nothing serious and not the fault of the Surrey Registers but individuals having been moved to different Regiments just after attestation.

For example:

Page 88 of The Surrey Recruitment Registers there is one Chas Howard FABRAY, noted as KRRC in the registers. His WO363 Attestation papers from The National Archives, on Army Form B.111 has the KRRC penned through and Rifle Brigade entered above the deleted KRRC. He was given the number Z/2483 in The Rifle Brigade. No number had been allocated for the KRRC which leads me to think that he was moved Regiments directly or very soon after his attestation.

It maybe that as the KRRC and RB were sister regiments that this movement was done on an ad hoc basis, but, it is something that people using the Surrey Recruitment Registers as a resource tool might have to be on the lookout for.

On another note here, on a fair few of the Rifle Brigade entries in the Surrey Recruitment Registers I have noticed have no MIC's for the RB's but the same name and initials have MIC's for other Regiments.

Although a valuable resource without doubt, it has become evident that a lot more delving into them than was first thought is vital to accurately pin down some of the entries.

Andy

Just one thing I would like to add here to this thread, having gone through the registers for about 5 days now I am finding a few anomolies here and there, nothing serious and not the fault of the Surrey Registers but individuals having been moved to different Regiments just after attestation.

For example:

Page 88 of The Surrey Recruitment Registers there is one Chas Howard FABRAY, noted as KRRC in the registers. His WO363 Attestation papers from The National Archives, on Army Form B.111 has the KRRC penned through and Rifle Brigade entered above the deleted KRRC. He was given the number Z/2483 in The Rifle Brigade. No number had been allocated for the KRRC which leads me to think that he was moved Regiments directly or very soon after his attestation.

It maybe that as the KRRC and RB were sister regiments that this movement was done on an ad hoc basis, but, it is something that people using the Surrey Recruitment Registers as a resource tool might have to be on the lookout for.

On another note here, on a fair few of the Rifle Brigade entries in the Surrey Recruitment Registers I have noticed have no MIC's for the RB's but the same name and initials have MIC's for other Regiments.

Although a valuable resource without doubt, it has become evident that a lot more delving into them than was first thought is vital to accurately pin down some of the entries.

Andy

Andy

As the compiler of the Registers Index/Extracts can I elaborate:

I seem to recollect that in some instances there were more thasn one entry in the regimental column, with one of the two entries scored through. This did not happen very often and as far as I can remember the the not crossed out entry was used.

Regarding your comment about MIC entries, I do not understand what you are trying to say, I am not a military person, so if you can elaborate i will try to explain.

• 1 month later...

Would someone be kind enough to tell me how many 17th Middlesex men are on the CD so I can make a decision whether it is worth ordering a copy?

Charles,

As a matter of interest how many men did you find for your database on the Absent Voters Lists? This is one resource that I have not yet investigated.

Regards,

AGWR

AGWR

Would someone be kind enough to tell me how many 17th Middlesex men are on the CD so I can make a decision whether it is worth ordering a copy?

There are no men listed as being specifically 17th Middlesex, although there are a number of Middlesex Regiment with no battalion identifier.

Hope this helps

Steve

AGWR

There are no men listed as being specifically 17th Middlesex, although there are a number of Middlesex Regiment with no battalion identifier.

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for checking.

Regards,

AGWR

Charles,

As a matter of interest how many men did you find for your database on the Absent Voters Lists? This is one resource that I have not yet investigated.

AGWR, So far about 780 from a total of 7 London boroughs. 450 of them were from St Pancras. Definitely worth looking at in your case.

regarding the Surrey RRs it is worth checking any that you have on your dbase as being born, enlisted or resided in Surrey from SDGW. I have found several of them on the RRs, and others in the same number block have also turned up in the RRs. A bit long winded, but useful nonetheless.

Charles

Charles,

Very interesting. Where did you have to go to access these lists? Am I correct in thinking that these lists only started in 1918?

It sounds like the Surrey CD is a definite purchase a bit further down the line. At the moment I need to concentrate on finding out names, which are currently missing from my database. If only there was a Middlesex CD....

Regards,

AGWR

Very interesting. Where did you have to go to access these lists? Am I correct in thinking that these lists only started in 1918?

They were first published in Oct 1918 (based on data collected up to mid Aug 1918), then published at 6 monthly intervals up to about April 1920. I have used examples in the Local Studies libraries of the various London Boroughs, as well as some in the London Metropolitan Archives.

To ypres1418

Short answer is yes; CD was compiled on PC using XP Pro.

Suspect your confusion is over accessing raw data; you will not need to do this if you are only looking for individual people.

The database was included for those people who want to find out things like how many persons enlisted in a particular regiment

I have 33 individuals to look for, so I'm not going to ask anyone to do any look ups. However before I send off a cheque for the CD can anyone tell me:-

1) are the registers are likely to cover the villages between Guildford and Dorking.

2) If the CD was compiled using XP Pro, will it work on Windows 98 plus?

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Hello Chris,

if possible, I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me the information you find for:

Pvte T.C. Baines (Tommy Charles).

Army Number: 6173 (or 6143)

East Surrey Regiment

I am desperately trying to find out in what Battalion he was...

Thanks for this!

Tim

• 16 years later...
On 25/11/2005 at 18:27, JulianB said:

Could I also jump on the bandwagon and ask if someone with the disc could look up two names.

John Reid and brother Ivie Reid came from Brockhamhurst Farm in Betchworth.

To be honest I have no idea if they joined up or not, let alone what regiment.

But negative evidence would at least be some evidence !

thanks

Julian

These are my Grandfather and Great Uncle. I can confirm that they didn't join. A Long story and part of family folklore.

Very interested to know how you know of them.

Michael Reid

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Despite the age of this thread, @JulianB is still visiting the forum, so should pick up my tag. 
Michelle 

Yes, the names and address makes a tingle.....Betchworth!  I rather walked through the churchyard and dfound reids

Farmers, one went to war.....

Anyway - I'll go back through the Reid family tomorrow   - I think I corresponded with Reids in Betchworth. I think one was a ?Tony

(My maternal grandfather was a Reid    I'm looking forward to your long story and part of family folklore.

Thanks Michelle - let alone Michael  !

On 30/12/2022 at 16:33, JulianB said:

Yes, the names and address makes a tingle.....Betchworth!  I rather walked through the churchyard and dfound reids

Farmers, one went to war.....

Anyway - I'll go back through the Reid family tomorrow   - I think I corresponded with Reids in Betchworth. I think one was a ?Tony

(My maternal grandfather was a Reid    I'm looking forward to your long story and part of family folklore.

Thanks Michelle - let alone Michael  !

Hi Julian,

I believe we lost a Harman (my grandmother's family) in the great war. His name's on the war memorial in Betchworth.

By the way, thank you for the Reid family document you sent. Absolutely fascinating. Your emails are coming through without a problem but you don't seem to be getting my email replies. Do please check your spam folder.

Warm regards,

Michael

Dear Michael, I'm glad that you got the Reid family tree ! (I hope it's accurate it!)  I added the new (babies) !

If my emails are getting to you - you should write to my email directly   (removed by moderator)
surely we can write direct rather than the GWF !?

best wishes

Julian

It seems very accurate, thank you.

The only correction I'd make is my Father's name, which was John Anton and not John Anthony.

I'd send you some pictures but you aren't getting my emails. Do please check your spam folder, where I suspect they ended up.

Best wishes,

Michael