The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New military book publisher - Leonaur

Yorkshire Andy

Hello Everyone,

I came across the Leonaur website via a mail received from one of the booksellers I purchase from. They seem to be a new set up and offer reprints of out of copyright military titles from all eras in either paperback or cloth bound hardcover editions. The prices seem very reasonable and for those of us who "sweat" looking for a nice,clean hardbound edition ( if you can find one at all that is <_< ), they may just be our salvation!

I have no affiliation with them whatsoever but I hope I'm not alone in wishing them every success.

Have a look via the link below- only 2 Great War titles ATM, but a nice selection all round. And the webby blurb says they will take suggestions for re-prints. What book would you like to see the light of day once more?

http://www.leonaur.com/

All the best,

Andy

• 2 years later...

Checking out Leonaurs site today reveals reprints of quite a few very-hard-to-find-and-if-you-do-you'll-need-to-remortgage books. Severn "The Gambardier", Rolls "Steel Chariots in the Desert", Inchbald's "Imperial Camel Corps", Reid's "The Fighting Cameliers".

The Site is here:-Leonaur and follow the World War One link on the left. Looks like about 30 titles.

No connection with Leonaur, just glad to see that these titles are available somewhere.

Possibly the best thing in the publication world to happen in many a year, just a pity that due to the copyright laws, many relatively recent books will not be re printed by their publishers.

Colin

At least some of those titles are available as free of charge downloads on the internet. Not the same as having a book in your hand, I know, but thought I should point this out. Motto: when trying to find out of print books, always Google first.

As you say Chris quite rightly but alas "some" is the critical word. !

Leonaur it appears need only a request for some 50 copies to validate a re print.

Colin.

My wife will hate you Andy, but i think your great :D And they take paypal too,even better. Found some interesting books, and also ones outside of 'WW1'

In fact a revolution has been taking place in publishing for a while. You can find a number of long out of print books being offered through internet booksellers at reasonable prices. This is due to the "print on demand" market, which appears to have a large base in the USA. The average UK waiting time for print on demand is around 7 to 10 days, as they are imported from the USA.

One US firm has developed developed the technology that will allow a machine will print a off a book machine in just a few minutes. I understand that these machines are already in use in some bookshops in USA. One large bookseller in the UK is apparently looking into installing these devices although I think that these are for recently published works.

TR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso_Book_Machine

http://www.ondemandbooks.com/home.htm

21 Jun 2008

Source: PA News

Machines which can print and dispense books in just seven minutes are to be introduced in UK bookstores.

Blackwell bookshop plans to test the US-developed Espresso Book Machines in stores this autumn.

It eventually hopes to roll-out the machines across its 60 UK outlets.

The self-service machines have been installed in nine sites worldwide, including the World Bank in Washington, United States, and the Library of Alexandria, Egypt.

Creator On Demand Books says it currently takes about seven minutes to produce a fully-bound 200-page title.

A newer model with a double printer will be able to produce a book every three minutes.

Blackwell says that by working closely with publishers, it will widen the range of titles available to customers in-store.

The technology will also allow it to better compete with online booksellers, such as Amazon.

Chief executive Vince Gunn said: "This is a fantastic opportunity.

"We can sell to demand with no risk to inventory and there is an opportunity to create incremental revenue streams for ourselves and publishers."

via Channel 4 News

kind regards

One US firm has developed developed the technology that will allow a machine will print a off a book machine in just a few minutes. I understand that these machines are already in use in some bookshops in USA. One large bookseller in the UK is apparently looking into installing these devices although I think that these are for recently published works.

TR

Speaking as a former manufacturing and supply chain consultant, this makes eminent sense to me. It eliminates all that inventory and transportation from the system.

Some reasonably priced items there - I ordered a compilation of Patrick MacGill's three books on his time with the London Irish - delivery quoted as four weeks.

Some of the titles there are also available from N & MP as reprints.

Absolutely delighted to see "Machine Gun Squadron" reappear. I have a bound copy of the original articles from The Cavalry Journal, but a "working" copy will be very welcome.

If you're near Chelsea and want to save postage, the National Army Museum Shop stocks nearly all the British military titles.

• 2 weeks later...

Book arrived today - nicely produced and a decent dust jacket.

Bit of a bargain as the hardback is less expensive than buying the three books in question from N & MP in paperback.

Even more of a bargain from Leonaur in paperback.