The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Glory is no Compensation

MartinWills

Glory is No Compensation

The Border Regiment at Gallipoli

Ralph May (with Stuart Eastwood & Clive Elderton)

The Border Regiment and Kings Own Royal Border Regiment Museum in association with Silver Link Publishing

First published 2003 ISBN 1 85794 214 0

This fine volume, a well-bound hardback is a delight. It looks at the Gallipoli adventure from the perspective of the Border Regiment; the 1st Battalion serving with the “Immortal” 29th Division and the 6th Battalion with the 11th (Northern) Division. What it does not pretend to do is present an overview of the campaign. Other volumes are more appropriate for this, but it is helpful, though not essential, to know the background to the campaign whilst reading.

It comes as a surprise to find that around half of the book comprises a roll of all those who served with the battalions on the peninsula. This part alone is a major work and much more than just a roll. For most of the men it identifies much other information beyond name, rank, number and decorations. You will find platoon; company; date of draft; born, enlisted and resident information from SDGW. The subsequent career is often identified; for fatalities (whether at Gallipoli or later) there is next of kin information from the CWGC, when died, when buried; for casualties there are the date(s) of wounding; return to blighty; discharge information etc. etc. It’s not complete in every case but I found myself in wonder at the information that has been gathered and compiled.

Ralph May’s father served with the regiment at Gallipoli. He had long thought about visiting, but never quite got around to it. When a veteran and good friend, Fred Francis, died in 1999 he left a bequest to Ralph towards finally visiting the peninsula. This clearly worked wonders and the result is this book.

We are taken through the phases before the battalions reach Gallipoli. In the case of the 1st Battalion we have a tour of time spent defending the empire from 1907 to 1915 and their return to Britain. It was from these far-flung garrison battalions that the last of the regular divisions, the 29th, was formed. They landed at X beach (or “Implacable” landing) and this account alone adds so much to the historiography of the campaign – other writers tending to concentrate on V beach and Lancashire landing or the Anzacs.

The 6th (Service) Battalion was a new army formation, formed up and trained at Belton Park, Grantham. They saw action much sooner than many new army battalions, moving as part of the 11th division and arriving at Helles in late July before landing at Suvla in August.

The author takes us through their service providing the sort of fascinating detail many other authors would either omit or fail to discover. I certainly felt second only to being there with them. A number of personal accounts are used, most effectively, and the volume is splendidly and generously illustrated both with contemporary and modern photographs, many of which I have not seen before. Maps are provided in the text and are more than adequate. I would have liked to see the occasional trench map illustrating specific actions but that is more personal preference than criticism. The book is quite simply a joy to have. Glory may be no Compensation, but this book is indeed glorious.

• 4 months later...

It was with great surprise that I found a copy of this book by Stuart May in my work library in Fremantle WA.

Inside the book had been pasted 'Presented by Mr Len Chandler of Claygate, Surrey, England in memory of my father Private FW Chandler 1st Battalion The Border Regiment and the soldiers of the 29th Division of the old Regular Army, many of whose descendants are now living in Western Australia. 11th November 2003'

Thanks to Mr Len Chandler, I was given the chance to read this fine history of the 1st & 6th Battalion the Border Regiment.

Not being an expert on British battalions, I found it a great help that Stuart May went into a short history of the 1st Regiment prior to WW1 and it's subsequent service at Helles & Suvla where both the 1st & 6th Regiments had horrendous casualties.

This book has some great photos and the short biographies of officers & men would seem to be very handy for the researcher.

I was surprised to find that two Divisional Commanders in the AIF, Generals Walker & Sinclair-MacLaglan had spent some time with the Border Regiment prior to WW1.

All in all a very interesting read.

Andrew

I read your posting with great interest, is it possible to assist with a small mystery concerning the 6th Border Regiment at Gallipoli.

I have a strong interest in the Royal Berkshire Regiment and the foot numbered Regiments that formed them (49th/66th) A member of the 66th a Sgt WILLIAMS was awarded a DCM for his actions at Maiwand in Afghanistan 1880. He was presented with his medal by Queen Victoria at Osbourn house IOW on the return of what remained of the Regiment. She, on presenting the medal instructed Sgt WILLIAMS to revert to his origional name (i.e.) CAULFIELD, he was in effect a 'Gentleman ranker' This his did and got commssioned. He went on to serve in the Northumberland fusiliers and the Border Regiment where he was awarded the DSO (One of only a few to ever get the DCM/DSO Combination) He then retired in the early part of the 1900.s He rejoined at the start of the 1st WW and rejoined the Border Regt (At an advanced age) and ended up at Gallipolli where he was killed.

My query is, is CAULFIELD mentioned in the book you refer to, if so does it give any details of the man, or better still a photo (We live in hope) We have seen documentation where he omits any refrence to being awarded a DCM so we suspect here is a story there.

Any assistance would be appreciated, my next step is the Borders Museum before I go into print..........................

Cheers

MAC

Mac,

Major A. M. CAULFIELD DSO DCM, is mentioned in this book on pages 103, 131, 141. On page 146 there's a photograph, taken circa 1888 while he was serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers and on page 155 (Appendix 1), is a Roll of Officers, this gives his service record from 1880-1915

Other sources of information found on WILLIAMS/CAULFIELD are:-

1. Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1855-1909 Second Edition by P. E. Abbott, he is found on pages 1 and again on page 3 listed under WILLIAMS, Frederick (alias Algernon Montgomerie CAULFEILD). On page xxvii a group photograph taken at Osbourne 17th August 1881, showing him as Sgt. F. Williams 66th Foot. Note his surname in this book is spelt as CAULFEILD.

2. The Distinguished Service Order 1886-1923 by Creagh & Humphris page 27, a biography on CAULFEILD, Algernon Montgomerie which includes a letter sent by Capt. G. DARWELL to his realative Miss Caulfeild. Note again his surname is also spelt as CAULFEILD.

Alan

Many thanks for that, I will now go forth and get the book. I am aware of the info in the DSO register but the rest will all be new to me. Another small mystery is that CAULFIELD does not seem to appear in the CWGC system. I can feel a trip up to the cold north to visit the Museum.

Once again....Many thanks

Cheers

MAC

Mac,

Your will find your man listed as CAULFEILD not Caulfield in the CWGC Register as per my notes on the Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal and The Distinguished Service Order. It would seem that surname spelling they have in Glory is no Compensation is wrong?

• 2 years later...
Guest sonicsgirl

Hi.

I have been researching my family tree for around 4yrs now, but couldn't seem to find out anything about my g/grandfather Cpl Harold Whitehead, I didn't have his regimental service number, or even the date he signed up or which regiment he was in. However we discovered that a member of the family had found some photos' on top of an old water cistern, showing him in a army uniform. The photo was so faded and watermarked everyone I showed it to couldn't work out his cap badge etc (even though we are traditionally a forces family going back many generations to this day). On advice, I recently sent a copy of it to the Border Regiment Museum, in Carlisle, who identified it as their own cap badge. They very kindly sent me details of his regimental number and some documentation, which included details of him being mentioned in the appendix of the book 'Glory is no Compensation' by Col R. May. I know he joined the 6th battalian, probably after a period of training with the 3rd battalian at Shoeburyness, he was wounded on 4th Oct 1917, at the 3rd battle of Ypres, sent home on the 6th Oct, then returned to the 6th at some point, as he has what I recently discovered is a wound stripe on his uniform. We have tried to discover what medals he would have received as we know he had a few, which were unfortunately buried with him. I am desperate to obtain a copy of the book, after 4yrs of endless disappointment and fruitless researching, I would love to know what is said about him in the book. I have tried putting the title etc in many search engines, but can't seem to find the book available to buy on line or anywhere else were I may be able to purchase a copy, can you please give me any idea where I may be able to get hold of the book to keep rather than borrow it from a library, (which unfortunately isn't available at our local library anyway). Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanking you in advance. Sonicsgirl

If you look on my website - www.ypressalient.co.uk - Battle of Broodseinde - The 6th Borders were in the same Brigade (33rd) as 9th Sherwood Foresters. Then go to War Diaries and October 1917 for 9th SF.

stevem

Glory is No Compensation

The Border Regiment at Gallipoli

Ralph May (with Stuart Eastwood & Clive Elderton)

The Border Regiment and Kings Own Royal Border Regiment Museum in association with Silver Link Publishing

First published 2003 ISBN 1 85794 214 0

Any idea where I can get a copy?

stevem

Thanks I will contact them. Did not realise that Stuart had moved from Kings Own Museum. He signed a copy of Lions of England for me in 1991. I am more interested in 9th SF but as they fought together, it would be good to read it.

stevem

I have seen odd copies in various places - and it has appeared on ebay a couple of times quite recently, but as others have said the museum is probably the best option. Do let us know how you get on. As I said at the time it's a fine book. It still deserves a bigger audience. Readers will not be disappointed.

• 8 years later...

Mac,

Major A. M. CAULFIELD DSO DCM, is mentioned in this book on pages 103, 131, 141. On page 146 there's a photograph, taken circa 1888 while he was serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers and on page 155 (Appendix 1), is a Roll of Officers, this gives his service record from 1880-1915

Other sources of information found on WILLIAMS/CAULFIELD are:-

1. Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1855-1909 Second Edition by P. E. Abbott, he is found on pages 1 and again on page 3 listed under WILLIAMS, Frederick (alias Algernon Montgomerie CAULFEILD). On page xxvii a group photograph taken at Osbourne 17th August 1881, showing him as Sgt. F. Williams 66th Foot. Note his surname in this book is spelt as CAULFEILD.

2. The Distinguished Service Order 1886-1923 by Creagh & Humphris page 27, a biography on CAULFEILD, Algernon Montgomerie which includes a letter sent by Capt. G. DARWELL to his realative Miss Caulfeild. Note again his surname is also spelt as CAULFEILD.

Here is the epitaph from his grave in Deansgrange Cemetary Dublin Ireland

No.175
In | Loving Memory | of | Lieut. Col. MONTGOMERIE CAULFEILD | died March 4 1894| aged 69 | "For ever with the Lord" | Also | DORA | wife of the above | died March 23rd
1916 | in the 90th year of her age | "They have fought a good fight, they have kept the faith | henceforth is laid up for the crown of life" | "Their children rise up and call them blessed" | Somewhere in the Gallipoli Peninsula | lies their son | Major ALGERNON MONTGOMERIE CAULFEILD | D.C.M., D.S.O. 6th Border Regiment | Last seen from
Chocolate Hill wounded | but leading his men to the attack at Suvla | Aug. 9th 1915 | "Lead Thou me on"

Here is the epitaph from his grave in Deansgrange Cemetary Dublin Ireland

No.175In | Loving Memory | of | Lieut. Col. MONTGOMERIE CAULFEILD | died March 4 1894| aged 69 | "For ever with the Lord" | Also | DORA | wife of the above | died March 23rd1916 | in the 90th year of her age | "They have fought a good fight, they have kept the faith | henceforth is laid up for the crown of life" | "Their children rise up and call them blessed" | Somewhere in the Gallipoli Peninsula | lies their son | Major ALGERNON MONTGOMERIE CAULFEILD | D.C.M., D.S.O. 6th Border Regiment | Last seen fromChocolate Hill wounded | but leading his men to the attack at Suvla | Aug. 9th 1915 | "Lead Thou me on"