The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Officers Died.

Bob Coulson

On the CD-ROM no details of officers home/enlistment is given.

Does the book Officers Died provide these details, if not is there a publication available with this information.?

Bob.

Bob.

No further details are given in the book.

Cheers.

A book is available that gives potted biographies (and photos) of officer casualties called "Bond of Sacrifice". Unfortunately, due to the unexpectedly high number of casualties, the compilers were unable to complete the series that they intended and, therefore, the only 2 volumes that were completed only cover the casualties from Aug.1914 to June 1915.

N&MP have re-printed these 2 volumes.

Dave

Dave,

Yes I have seen these advertised by N&M Press but was really looking for something that covers the whole 14-18 period just giving brief details of officer's home and enlistment as with SDCD.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Bob.

Bob,

you can do quite a lot about origin and occupation (certainly for older folk) using the on-line censuses (sp?) for 1901. It works better (obviously) for folk with distinctive names. I've had reasonable success.

The census for England & Wales is at

http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/

It is free to search but only really works on surname and first forename - you can try middle names and initials but it is a bit of a lottery. The transcription of the records used to produce the index is of variable quality. You have to pay to see the actual images of the census pages.

Sticking with England and Wales, Free BMD

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

sometimes comes good when the census fails.

Scotland is much better served with censuses, births, marriages and deaths for most of our period of interest on line. One officer who had eluded me in censuses, birth records, etc was finally uncovered through his marriage certificate. BUT you have to pay £6 before you start.

See

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.ph...hp?bWVzc2FnZT0x

I'm sure somebody who knows more about family history than I do can make more informed suggestions.

Jock

Sorry to hijack the thread abit but after Jock's comments

Scotland is much better served with censuses, births, marriages and deaths for most of our period of interest on line. One officer who had eluded me in censuses, birth records, etc was finally uncovered through his marriage certificate. BUT you have to pay £6 before you start.
i was wondering...........

Jock What are the cost implications after you have paid your £6. is it like the English/Welsh Census where you have to pay to see each transcript??

Will

Will,

it goes something like this.

You pay in multiples of £6 by credit/debit card. Each £6 gives you 30 credits to be used in 48 hours. Any unused credits at the end of that time are stored - next time you pay they are added to your new purchase.

You can then do a search - they have censuses for 1881, 91 and 1901, birth certs from 1855 to 1902, marriage certs from 1855 to 1927 and death certs from 1855 to 1952. They also have the pre 1855 parish records - these are not really of interest.

You can search each class of records individually, do BMDs together or the 1891 and 1901 censuses together.

Search is the usual affair - enter info in fields and hit the tit.

You'll then get told e.g. 'You have 25 hits displayed on 2 pages'.

To view each page of hits costs 1 credit - these are effectively the index.

Most of the entries have an associated image - census page or certificate. To view one of these costs 5 credits. Quality of images is generally very good.

There are no images for deaths in service during WW1.

Effectively it means to view one image costs at least 6 credits = £1:20. Sometimes the information on the 'hits' page is enough.

Like any any search tool you get better the more you use it - and the cost is an incentive to design your searches carefully.

Hope that helps,

Jock

P.S. Inspired by my own posting I managed to find another two officers through their marriage certificates last night - these give a age which helps work out place of birth.