The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

My War Memories 1914-1918

Greenwoodman

Not a review, I'm afraid, but an enquiry. It seemed the logical place to ask.

Ludendorff's Great War memoirs were published as "MEINE KRIEGSERINNERUNGEN 1914-1918", BERLIN, ERNST SIEGFRIED MITTLER UND SOHN, 1919.

These were translated as "My War Memories 1914-1918" 2 Vols. London: Hutchinson, 1919.

Web searches also throw up "LUDENDORFF'S OWN STORY, August 1914 - November 1918: The Great War from the Siege of Liege to the Signing of the Armistice as Viewed from theGrand Headquarters of the German Army" 2 Volumes N.Y.: Harper, 1919.

Are "War Memories" and "Ludendorff's Own Story" one and the same book, just titled differently for the differing transatlantic markets? Can any pal help please?

Guest RossBeadle

I suspect the US publishers - Harper -wanted their own title (as they often do) and its the same book. I assume you have tried ABEbooks and see if they list both. Ludendorff was a workaholic, but two sets of memoirs in one year?

Take care, Ludendorff made two large books (1919 and 1920): his war memoirs and a book about the German High Command of Hindenburg and himself 1916-1918. I've got his memoirs and another book called something like 'Documents of the High Command 1916-1918', both in German of course.

Jan

• 1 year later...

Has anyone read these volumes? I would guess that they would be thick and hard to get through... although I have been known to guess wrong before.

Andy

I've read "Ludendorff's Own Story, " and yes they are thick and yes they are hard to get through. Only to be compared with the wooden "The war of lost opportunities," by Hoffman.

I found myself pretty dissapointed. If you're looking for a glimpse into the man you'll have to look somewhere else. As with most generals' war writings there is an agenda that requires taking it all with a grain of salt.

Paul

Ludendorff's War Memoirs and Own Story are indeed the same books - the latter is the US title. There's also a two volume collection of documents (only for serious historians/researchers) (The General Staff and Its Problems, I think)

Ludendorff's memoirs are rather dry, (he wasn't a barrel of laughs as a person) but more insightful than Hindenburg's very vague memoirs. Falkenhayn's are similar, but slightly more interesting. Hoffmann's are much more incisive. What has always surprised me is that none have been reprinted - Ludendorff's especially as they are quoted ad infinitum by English-speaking historians as standard German sources... Here's hoping...

• 2 months later...

I have almost finished reading both volumes of 'Ludendorff's Own Story'. Absolutely fascinating! As Paul mentioned, you have to be alert to his agenda. Basically, the book comprises two major themes: the perspective of Ludendorff on the various command decisions that he made in his various roles from the begining of the war, and his musings on the political and other non-military reasons why German lost the war.

On the military command aspects, you get to appreciate the tremendous strain he, and the German forces were under, and then the sense of desparation in mounting the Spring Offensives. Most people will have seen the classic quote about 8th August 1918 being 'a Black Day' for the German Army but it is interesting to read, for example, that 20th August 1918 was also a Black Day. Ludendorff describes the various factors he had to take into account, the different advice that he received, etc in the decision-making process.

The other material was more difficult to wade through. It tended to be quite repetitive: the Government was not totally focused on waging war both before and during, the influence of communism, the settlement of the East, etc. I have Ludendorff's other books, the two volume 'The General Staff and Its Problems' in which he quotes verbatim from reports that he/Hindenburg wrote to the Government and the various replies, all in support of this aspect of his 'Own Story'. What fascinated me most about this part of the the book is that Ludendorff and Hitler spent time together. I could easily see how Ludendorff's writings and thinking could have significantly influenced Hitler. One area was the notion that government and military high command should be a single entity, with tightly controlled propaganda forming a vital part of ensuring the nation's compliance with the need for total war.

Robert

I've been reading "Falkenhayn," by Holger Afflerbach and it is a fascinating glimpse into the man. I think it's in German only, and a good example of some of the great German war literature out there begging to be translated.

He describes how, after the war, the sides split into factions, basically Falkenhayn (almost alone) on one side and Ludendorff, Hindenburg, and cronies on the other side. It became the war, in print, of "you lost the war." He even points out that the German Official History treats Falkenhayn with a somewhat heavy hand.

This is important to keep in mind when reading any of the "German giants'," accounts of the war.

There is a new book just out, "German Strategy and the Path to Verdun

Erich von Falkenhayn and the Development of Attrition, 1870–1916." By Robert Foley. I can't comment on the book yet, as mine is still in the post! I suspect, from looking at his sources, that he is going to open up many that have been unavailable to the English speaking public.

I'll be curious as to what Foley's book has to offer. I've been reading quite a lot about Falkenhayn recently, trying to get a better understand of his somewhat enigmatic character. Afflerbach points out that in relation to Verdun, the use of terms such as "bleeding white," by Falkenhayn does not point to some ghoulish character, but reflect the language of the day. He shows examples of how such terms were to be found in print, in related military subjects, as early as 1905.

Interestingly enough (then I'll stop) I am also making my way through Hans von Zwehl's book, "Maubeuge, Aisne, Verdun," and speaking of attrition in relation to Falkenhayn he says (paraphrasing):

"Attrition theory had no place in the German strategy as she had less resources. The attrition theory had its place in memoirs and newspaper articles, but not at the front and was used only by men when not achieving the real purpose of their actions."

I found this statement fascinating. Ok enough, I promised to stop.

Paul

• 4 years later...

When I saw the 1919 publication date on a citation for Ludendorff's Own Story I wondered how the guy could have written two volumes of memoirs in such a short period of time after the war. I'm wondering whether he had a large staff of ghostwriters--officers most likely--who helped him on the project.

I've been reading "Falkenhayn," by Holger Afflerbach and it is a fascinating glimpse into the man. I think it's in German only, and a good example of some of the great German war literature out there begging to be translated.

Paul

Hey Paul, when you've finished reading it, would you mind translating it :D ?

We will take up a collection.