The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Victoria Rifles or KRRC?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Looks like a Queen Vics cap badge to me.

Guest A Mafia Man

According to the war diary of Lt Frank Warren who served in the KRR's between 1916 & 1918 they had 'black buttons'. (Hence the name 'black buttoned bas...ds'.

So your man is, on this evidence, Queen Vic's Rifles.

Joe

Ian

I happened to be going through the QVR's history last night for another member of the forum and I read that the QVR's had Black buttons of which they were very

proud.

Geoff

In 1940 KRRC and QVR were at Calais, last troops to leave UK and there in action together but not the same unit. Sacrifice troops who kept a panzer division away from Dunquerque for a day. Also some Rifle Brigade and Searchlight troops.

Be careful about the black buttons. SD jackets were only issued with GS brass buttons. Men in Regiments that usually wore rifle (Black buttons) had to change the buttons themselves, usually at thier own cost. So it is very common to see Rifle units wear Bog standard SD jackets. In fact its more common to see standard jackets than ones with buttons changed.

So in this case I don't think it helps one way or another to look at the buttons.

Joe Sweeney

Just to put mine in, being family connected to KRRC; pictures in the family of WW1 O/Rs in 2/KRRC wearing black horn buttons in 1914. Fred Whiteley, a Sgt on outbreak of war, wore them.

If we could get a detailed scan of the buttons it would settle it (perhaps) as the QVRs had their own black horn buttons; a crown above St George and the Dragon. Not likely though; shouldn't think the resolution will allow the level of enlargement.

Guest A Mafia Man

Can I throw another spanner into this one ?

Could the soldier be a rifleman of the 6th City London Rifles or the Finsbury Rifles ?

This may also answer some of the queries relating to the type of buttons worn on the uniform.

Just a thought.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Ian

Hi – just to add some more info.

The Vics (9th Londons) had black buttons and were affiliated to KRRC as a Territorial Bn.

However, the Vics were composed of the 19th (The Bloomsbury Rifles) and 1st (The Victoria and St. George’s Rifles) Volunteer Rifle Corps of the Middlesex Regiment, these two corps being amalgamated during the re-org in 1908.

The Bloomsburys were affiliated to The Rifle Brigade and prior to 1908 had bright buttons.

So I guess a lot depends on when the picture was taken. I have one taken circa 1905 and it confused me for some time until I worked out the change in the affiliations in 1908.

Regards

Andy

the krrs as my grandad has been telling me as he was a member of them in ww2 . home service wore brass. when they got to the front they recieved there lovely black buttons.

KRRC had a red felt backing to the badge, no evidence of one on Ian's picture.

Cheers