The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Battalion Worcestershire Regt

Will O'Brien

I'm doing a bit of research on a chap who was kia whilst serving with the 1st Worcestershire Regt on 2nd September 1917. Having looked in all the usual places to ascertain where they (ie now know which Division they were in) I was wondering if any Pals had info specific to what the Battalion was doing on the 2nd Sept 1917

Many Thanks

Will

Hi Will

I do not have detailed info., others will hopefully give you more.

The 1st Worcestershires Div. (8th), were holding the line from near Westhoek to the Ypres-Roulers Railway. There was no major action on 2nd September 1917, so he may have been killed by the usual daily shelling and sniping that went on between the battles.

Annette

Annette

Many thanks for that snipet of info. It helps me greatly to understand the circumstances of the chaps death. I think it is one of the tragic things about WWI that the many many deaths occurred not in 'battle' but randomly whilst men were simply holding the line & not engaged in offensive attacks. It must have been a very difficult thing to cope with, knowing 'it' could happen at any time.

Will

knowing 'it' could happen at any time.
Yes, it must have have been a very difficult thing to cope with. I've tried to put myself in their shoes and think what would I do, most probably I would try not to think about dieing but that is easy to say when not face with death.

Annette

I've tried to put myself in their shoes and think what would I do,
- Me too & I have sincere doubts whether I would have been up to it. Makes the need to remember them all the more important to me.

Will