The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Service South Africa, WW1 & WW2

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Has anyone ever identified a soldier or sailor who saw active service in the Boer War, Great War & WW2 (albeit the Home Guard)?

Could they please publish details.

Ian :)

Ian,

My old Doctor, W.W. J Lawson served as a medical orderly in the Boer War. In the 14/18 war, quote from the local press --- " Home once more, Captain W.W.J.Lawson R.A.M.C. has been demobbed after serving 4 years 2 months with the Colours, henceforth permanent in the village. This is good news to Whitwell people who have been without a resident Doctor since the gallant Doctor enlisted in 1914. He also served in the second world war as Doctor to the Local Home Guard unit and A. R. P.

Cliff.

General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien famous for his stance at Le Cateau fought in the Zulu War and was one of the few to escape after the massacre at Isandlwana. Not certain when he died or if he survived until WW2.

Tim

Ian,

A near miss, not quite meeting your criterion, but well worth remembering nevertheless

No.1293 Sergeant Alfred J. Richards VC

born 1879

1895 bandboy 1st Battalion, The Lancashire Fusiliers

1899 Crete: trained as a mounted infantryman & hoped to be accepted for service in SA. Passed course but "the Adjutant kept me for my musical abilities" & made L.Corporal. He also served in Malta, Gibraltar, Alexandria and India

1915 wounded 'W' Beach, Gallipoli & awarded VC

"Sgt Alfred Richards had scarcely reached the beach when a burst of machine-gun fire almost severed his right leg. Realising that to remain behind the barbed wire was to court annihilation, he called on his men to follow him forward. Dragging his mutilated leg, he crawled through the wire and, despite the terrible pain, continued to shout encouragement as they advanced to assault the Turkish position beyond." [snelling]

r .leg amputated, he was discharged from the army July 1915

in addition to the VC., Richards received a trio plus the Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

During WWII served in the Home Guard as Provost Sergeant, 28th County of London Battalion and was awarded the Defence Medal (1939-1945)

died 1953

Regards

Michael D.R.

Edited by michaeldr

Ian,

My Grandfather served in the Boer war in 1901 with the Imperial Yeomanry (the details I'm still researching), he was with the 7th Gordon highlanders in WW1 and the 3rd Bn Cumberland Home Guard in WW2, reaching the rank of Captain. If its of interest Iv'e just received his Defence Medal which had not been claimed.

Kilty ;)

Kilty,

Well done on getting your grandfather's Defence Medal

Can we have this hero's name please?

and good luck with the rest of your research

Best Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael D.R,

My Grandfathers name was JOHN ION.

In May 1918 he returned to England and was attached to No 6 Officer Cadet Battalion (Balliol College Oxford) where he was commissioned 2nd Lt . He received his commission on the 10th February 1919 & transferred to the reserve, I've got his commission scroll on the wall next to his campaign medals. Glad this was of interest.

Kilty ;)

General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien famous for his stance at Le Cateau fought in the Zulu War and was one of the few to escape after the massacre at Isandlwana. Not certain when he died or if he survived until WW2.

Tim

Tim

Smith-Dorrien died in a car accident in 1930, so he never made the second world war, though had he he would have been quiet old seeing as he was born in 1858 :blink:

try this link for a bio of him on this site. he says modestly as he wrote the blinking thing.

Arm.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Michael D.R,

My Grandfathers name was JOHN ION.

In May 1918 he returned to England and was attached to No 6 Officer Cadet Battalion (Balliol College Oxford) where he was commissioned 2nd Lt . He received his commission on the 10th February 1919 & transferred to the reserve, I've got his commission scroll on the wall next to his campaign medals. Glad this was of interest.

Kilty ;)

Nice one Kilty - Thanks for posting details. And thanks everyone for your replies.

Ian

:)

Ian.

Whilst tracing the footsteps of my friends great grandfather between Martinpuich and the Butte, i can recall Andy saying that his great grandfather served in all three conflicts. Have rang Andy and he confirms that his Great grandfather did serve in all three. The details as follows.

Able Richard Lewis. born 1879 in Blackwood South Wales.

Served in the Boer War with the 2nd Bn Welsh Fusiliers.

Served WWI with the 6th Durham Light Infantry (hence the walk to the Butte)

was based at Catterick in WWII, but Andy is not sure as what, or with who, just the fact that he lied about his age to serve in WWII.

Ian, if you want Andys phone number for further details, please email me off forum.

Chris

• 2 months later...

At last I can confirm my grandfathers Boer War service, having just received his papers from the N.A. He enlisted with the 35th Bn Imperial Yeomanry (Westmorland & Cumberland), on the 15 January 1902. for one year with the colours. He gives his age as being 20 years & 10 months.( he was actually 17years & 10 months). South Africa 26/5/02 - 26/11/02. Discharched 3/12/02.

Its taken a while to get the result but well worth it.

Kilty. :D

Has anyone ever identified a soldier or sailor who saw active service in the Boer War, Great War & WW2 (albeit the Home Guard)?

Could they please publish details.

Ian :)

Captain Broughton. I have posted a photo of him in this group, and also a page giving details of his service.

He was a half-Maori New Zealander who was in both the Boer War and WW1. He volunteered for the 2AIF in WW2, and ended up as a Militia officer in charge of a Labour/Works Company.

Martin Leake VC and bar R.A.M.C

Won his first VC in the Boer War serving with the S.A.C and was awarded the bar during WWI whilst serving with the RAMC. He also commanded his local A.R.P during World War II and was awarded the Defence Medal. He died in 1953 and his medals are on display at the Army Medical Services Museum at Keogh Barracks.

Plenty of info about him on the web.

Tim.