The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anonymous Australian Author

Terry_Reeves

I recently acquired two of these booklets (see below) , published in 1916 and 1917 respectively. They were produced by the Department of Public Instruction, Queensland and are entitled "The School Paper".

They contain articles about various parts of the Empire and the war. Each article is accompanied by a word list, drawn from the articles, to help schoolchildren with pronunciation and meaning.

The lead article in the volume illustrated below is entitled "The Landing at Gallipoli" and was written by "No 94, A Company, 9th Battalion." From the narrative, he appears to have taken part in it. Can anyone help identify him?

Terry Reeves

post-1-1062339940.jpg

Hi Terry

You probably already know that there is a ANZAC Research message board inhabited by some very knowledgeable people. If you don't get a response from the equally knowledgeable pals try

Anzac Research

Hi Terry,

Very interesting pamphlets- cannot recall seeing these exact items before.

Other States within Australia published smiliar items. (approx 32 pges)

Will do some additional checking for you tommorow.

If you do not get a response from your 'pals' I would suggest you post to the Anzac Research site as suggested.

Regards

Geoff S

I contacted Anzac Research as suggested. It appears the author was Percival Young who enlisted on 23rd August 1914. He originated from Worcestershire and appears to have survived the war.

Many thanks for the tip.

Terry Reeves

Terry,

Glad to hear the guys got the name for you.

You may be interested to know that the first Australian casualties on the 25th of April 1915 were almost certainly from "B" and "A" Companies, 9th Battalion and "B" and "C" Companies of the 10th Battalion who were amongst the first Australian units to land on the beach that morning.

Regards

Geoff S