The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

13th (Civ) Labour Coy, Labour Corps

Paul Reed

I was out at Tincourt New British Cemetery today (without my digi camera, unfortunately) and came across an ususal headstone. It was inscribed with just P.Murphy, 29th July 1917 and a cross. No unit or other details. The register showed he served with the 13th (Civillian) Labour Company, Labour Corps.

This is a new one on me - civillians at the front? Was he a CO?

I'd be interetsed in some opinions on this one, particularly from Ivor Lee.

CWGC for him:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/detailed.asp?ca...casualty=256064

Paul

I have not seen civilians in the Labour Corps before but I have seen civilians (British) employed in the Chinese Labour Corps.

I have always presumed that they had some special skill which made them valuable - perhaps in the case of the CLC, simply the ability to speak Chinese!

Tincourt contains 58 men of the CLC - a possible connection?

Possibly, but this seems a bit early for the CLC and none of the CLC graves at Tincourt were men who died before November 1918, from memory.

Paul

I suspect he was a member of 13 Company (Civilian Platelayers) but have been unable to confirm this.

The earliest reference I have found so far to these Civilian Platelayers dates to 23 March 1917 when there were 127 of them in the Dunkirk area.

2 May 1917 11, 12 & 13 Civilian Platelayers Companies arrived at Havre.

5 May 1917 60 arrived in St Omer from Dunkirk.

7 June 1917 101 at Cherbourg

In September 1917 they appear to have returned to the UK.

I have only seen references in Corps and Army AQ Diaries so if anyone ever finds other references please let me know.

Ivor

I note that 11,12, and 13 Labour Companies are in the BEF Oroder of Battle on 11 November 1918. They are Army Troops. Are they the same as the Platelayer companies? If so, they must have returned to France, perhaps in another guise?

Charles

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Ian

He was a man who laid and maintained railway lines.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Bob/Terry.

So does this mean he was superivising Labour Corps men involved in Railway Maintenance work?

Ian

Thanks for that Ivor - it would make sense that he was at Tincourt as a whole system of trench railways was put in there to feed the front line beyond Hargicourt.

Charles

As far as I can establish they were no connection with 11, 12 or 13 Companies LabourCorps.

The trouble is I have very little on them, just odd comments in AD Diaries. Perhaps the answer lies in RE diaries as I assume they were working for them laying and repairing railways.

Also they only appear to have been around for a few months in 1917!

Having just read the Official History on the Battle of Messines, a footnote on p.39 refers to the railway line between Bergues - Proven being doubled between Jan and Jun 1917. The rail route was Dunkirk-Bergues-Proven, so this may give a reason for extra platelayers being "imported" and used in early 1917?

The stats for 2nd Army at Messines state that 115 miles of new broad-gauge and 58 miles of new narrow gauge were laid for the offensive "as soon as adequte labour and materials became available".

2nd Army Engineering files may reveal more.