The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th London Regiment 1914

Terry

I have just acquired a 14 Star trio to the 9th London Regt (Queen Victoria's Rifles). Could any Pals fill me in on the units activities fro Nov.,1914 to early 1915. I see that they arrived in France on 5 Nov., and joined 5th Division on the 27th. What were doing in the interim? Also, did they take part in any major battles throughout this period? Thanks.

No they didn't; they were 'lines of communications' troops before they joined 5th Division, and they then took over the line near Zillebeke with this unit during the winter of 1914/15. They took no part in 1st Ypres, and I suspect did not enter the trenches before 22nd November 1914, so may well have not qualified for the bar. The unit history mentioned above will confirm this.

The majority of originals, like your man, were killed and wounded in April-May 1915 during Second Ypres.

Terry

To elaborate on the info Paul gave you, the following is the brief account I took from the QVR's history.

1/9th - 13th Nov '14 to 13th Bde, 5th Div. until 10th Feb '16 then to 169th Bde

56th Div. (history states joined 13th Bde on 13th Nov. however British Regts by

James gives date of 27th Nov).

27th November '14; left Bailleul and marched to Neuve Eglise. Inspected on route by Smith-Dorrien.

29th November '14; A & B Coys went into the front line trenches near Wulverghem. Where they remained for 36 hours until relieved by C & D Coys.

December '14; continually doing stints in the trenches at various locations in that area.

Beginning of January '15 (poss 1st); the Bn suffered 11 killed and 36 wounded due to enemy shelling of a farmhouse were the Bn HQ was located. The Bn was in thr trenches until 4th January when it then returned to Neuve Eglise.

At mid day on 5th January; the Germans shelled the village killing 7 riflemen and wounding 15.

6th January; the Bn moved to dugouts at Wulverghem and remained there until 9th January; when it again returned to Neuve Eglise.

10th January; the Bn moved to Bailleul where they remained until 15th January.

16th January; moved to Dranoutre and the men were billeted in Revetsburg.

19th January; A & B Coys returned to the trenches at Wulverghem, being relieved

3 days later by C and D Coys.

22/23rd January; back to Bailleul

30th January; long awaited draft from 2/9th arrived. Returned to the front line, two Coys at a time.

February was a quiet month will all Coys doing turns in the front line.

19th February; 13th Bde left the sector for Ypres, excluding 1/9th who came under the command of 15th Bde.

27th February; 15 Bde relieved by 84th Bde who took over command of 1/9th

The coming of March saw things become livelier in the front line with continuous and heavy shelling. From 1st through 11th March the Bn was either in support at Dranoutre or in the front line at Wulverghem.

17th March; saw the Bn back at Bailleul

22nd March; the Bn moved to the Ypres sector.

During April 1/9th were involved in the fighting for Hill 60.

Hope this gives you a brief idea of their activities. If you need any further

details let me know

Geoff

Geoff & Paul,

Thank you for your help. It was just what I was looking for. Once again the Pals come to the rescue!

I was checking through some of the files kept on the DNW website, and have found three groups and three single stars to the 9th Londons. Interesting that one of the stars and one of the trios both have an Aug-Nov bar. We will never know without checking out the Medal Index Cards, but perhaps at least some of the 9th got close enough to the front to earn the clasp during November, 1914.

Terry.

I have come across a similar situation with a 1/7/16 casualty 1914 Star trio I have to a Pte in the 5th Londons(LRB),he also arrived on the 5/11/14 and has no bar mentioned on the m.i.c.,but I do know of another 5th London 1914 star trio with the same date of entry who apparently qualified for the bar!!

I'm going to get the medal roll copy for my group in the hope that it shows entitlement to the bar as aparently bar entitlement wasn't always shown on the m.i.c..

Stu

The 9th Londons trio has finally arrived, and it does have a clasp. It also appears that the fellow served some 14 months in the battalion, because by Oct.,1915 he had been discharged and had re-enlisted in the Army Service Corps, with with he served until being invalided out in Feb.,1917.

A copy of the WO363 New Soldiers Record accompanied the trio and provided some details of his later service but nothing of his time with the 9th Londons other than confirmation of the 1914 Star.

My next approach is probably to get his MIC and see if he indeed should have been wearing the Aug-Nov clasp.

• 1 month later...

The MIC to Pte.Winter of the 9th Londons arrived this morning, and his clasp is confirmed. Obviously he managed to get near the front lines before the battalion officially moved in on 27 Nov (five days after the cutoff date for the clasp). He also was awarded a SWB. Thanks again to Jonathan Collins.

Guys

I can confirm my great-uncle Harry Spiller (L/cpl 425 1/9th Bn London Regt) rec'd the Mons Star - evidence MIC/Medal Roll/Medal(in my possession). MIC states date of embarkation as 5/11/1914.

My notes indicate that the 1st time in the trenches was 29/11/1914 but. I guess, that they must have been close enough to get the clasp.

Regards

Andy