The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

221st Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

pud2006

I'm trying to identify the location(s) and equipment of the 221st Siege Battery RGA in 1917, and in particular on October 27th 1917, which is when Gunner Ernest Smith of the 221st was reportedly killed outside his billet by a stray shell near Ypres.

I know from the Medal Roll that Ernest had transferred to the RGA from the RFA at some point, but I don't have any other details because his Service Records were destroyed.

I've found very few references to the 221st, and none about its weapons or movements, so I would appreciate any information about the unit that others may have come across, or suggestions as to where to look for information specific to that unit.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

The 221st(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were formed on the Clyde Defences on the 31st July 1916.

In June 1917 340th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was broken up and it's personnel sent to 47th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. and 221st(Siege)Bty,R.G.A.

By November 1918 221st(Siege)Bty,R.G.A were serving as Army Troops with 33rd(Howitzer)Brigade,R.G.A., Second Army. The Bde consisted of the following units;-

31st(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 4x 6inch Howitzers.

279th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

298th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 4x 6inch Howitzers.

221st(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

Sorry no details of overseas service.

Graham.

Graham,

Thank you for such a prompt reply and the information you provided.

Ernest Smith grew up in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire in the 1880-90s, but I'm not sure where he was after the 1901 census, and the origins of the 221st may not be relevant because he joined the RGA from the RFA (unknown unit).

There was a Territorial artillery battery (and coastal defence fort) in Aberdeen before WW1, but I haven't been able to find a list of personnel other than NCOs and officers.

If Ernest wasn't already involved with the Territorials, there's a reasonable chance that he volunteered to serve before 1916 like two of his brothers, but their locations don't help - one brother joined the AIF in Sydney, Australia (7th Field Company Engineers) and the other joined the Natal Light Horse, then Nyasaland Imperial Service Contingent/1st SA Rifles, then the Native Carrier Corps (he volunteered 3 times!).

Alternatively, Ernest may have been conscripted in 1916.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you obtain the information about the 221st from?

Do you have any information about the personnel in each battery - sorry if that's a naive question, I do appreciate that there were a lot of batteries and frequent casualties/personnel changes on active service.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

Information comes from "Lineage Book of the British Land Forces 1660-1978 - Vol II" by J.B.M.Frederick and "Order of Battle of the British Armies in France, November 1918 by IWM. As for lists of soldiers serving, have to say very sorry, none. Don't even know if the Royal Artillery Museum have any Nominal Roll Books for R.G.A. units.

Graham.

• 3 weeks later...

Graham,

Thanks again for your assistance. A copy of pages from the War Diary of the 221st for October 1917 indicates that they were equipped with 6 off 8" Howitzers MkVI at that time, and Ernest Smith is mentioned as having been killed in Ypres.

Regards

Paul

Paul

221 Siege battery were at this time part of the 69th HAG - Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery who had taken over this part of the front on October the 18th from 2nd Anzac H.A.

The Corps heavy artillery were divided into Counter Battery Groups and Siege Groups, the 69th HAG along with 48th HAG formed the Southern Double Group (77th HAG) commanded by Lt Col. H de L Walters. The guns from the 77 Hag were divided between the 69th and 48th HAGs with the 77th HAG, under Walters, acting as command and control. This double grouping was found to be useful in controlling so

many guns, the Southern Double Group were a Siege Group.

The 69th HA Group or X Group as it was designated, were made up of X1 - 224sb, X2 - 291sb, X3 - 238sb, X4 - 331sb & X5 - 221 siege battery, the 48th HAG were P Group. The 69th HAG was commanded by Lt Col. W Corrie

221sb were armed with 6 x 8” Howitzers located at C30b 05.90, about 1 mile due east of Weiltje, having an arc of fire of 40 - 100 grid degrees with an average effective range of 9,900 yards. Their call sign was C.U.

In early November Maj. G Mallinson, 221sb, was attached to the 70 HAG for counter battery work.

Thats all I have on 221 at this time, Woolwich don't hold personnel records as such. They have a list, the name escapes me, but it is in effect the same as the Terrritorial Force War Medal roll which can be found at Kew. If he enlisted in the TF prior to Sept 1914 he would have qualified for a TFWM.

Stuart

Stuart,

Thank you very much for your information.

Ernest's British War Medal and Victory Medal were mounted in a frame below the Dead Man's Penny his parents received after WW1, but he didn't have a TFWM or a 1914-15 Star.

We have a photograph of Ernest in RFA uniform, and his Medal Roll Entry identifies a RFA Service No. as well as a RGA Service No., but unfortunately his Service Records have not survived.

Is there any way to identify which RFA battery he served in from his RFA Service No., or from the history of 221sb - was he perhaps transferred from the RFA to the RGA when 221sb was formed, or to replace casualties? Were such transfers common?

Any relevant background information would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Paul