The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pair to CAGS

Terry

Some time ago I saw a pair on the sales list of a prominent Canadian medal dealer. The medals were named to: 473115 A.C.S.MJR.H.C.MITCHELL, C.A.G.S.

The price was quite hefty, so I backed off, but later I did a deal with the dealer and I acquired Mitchell's medals.

My own ignorance often dazzles me. Were these medals to the Canadian Army General Staff? Digging through the books I also came across the Canadian Army Gymnastics Staff. Which might it be?

Eventually the file arrived from the National Archives. Basic details included: born Durham,England 1890; stationary boiler fireman by occupation; enlisted in 65th Bn 24 July,1915; arrived in England 4 Oct.,1915; TOS 12th Bn; L/Cpl 27 Oct.,1915; Cpl. 30 March,1916; A/Sgt. 15 Oct.,1916; transferred to Can.Army Corps HQ,BEF, as Phy.Trg. & Bay.Inst 13 Dec.,1916; taken on strength of Can.General List on arrival in France 14 Dec.,1916; Sgt. 20 Jan.,1918; A/CSM with pay 15 Nov.,1918.

I can assume that he was a member of the Canadian Army Gymnastics Staff, in light of the entry mentioning his service as a physical training and bayonet instructor.

Can anyone fill me in on the CAGS; strength,etc.? As a relatively small unit, just how many CSM's would they have?

CSM instructors (Army Gymnastics staff) were usually allocated 2 per Division, 3 per Base Training Camp, 1 per Convelscent Depot, 1 per Army School. There are a few more allocations.

Joe Sweeney