The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Walter Merritt's amazing story

Chris_Baker

chris,

he knew what he wanted,and nothing was going to stop him.wonderful story.

what a man.

james

Hi Chris

A very interesting story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

There is interesting piece on the Birmingham University Great War internet site in the "Forgotten lives of the Great War" section in concerns the career of Lt Col W H "Harry" Carter DSO bar MC bar (no relation to me) who enlisted in the ranks of the 2nd South Staffs and after the war became motor-cycle mechanic.

Regards

Terry

Lt Col Harry Carter DSO bar MC Bar

A very interesting piece Chris. When he was training in England with the Australian artillery I was surprised to see one of my Fremantle soldiers mentioned.

The Major Hurst who wouldn't answer his questions as to his lack of promotion was a permanent soldier who pre-war was stationed at the Artillery Barracks in Fremantle. He ended the war as a Lt-Colonel with a DSO. He served with the 36th Heavy Artillery Group in France.

Regards

Andrew

What a man and what a story. Just the stuff to keep you awak at 04:30

Thanks for sharing that one with us Chris

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

Chris

Don't know whether you know of it but I came across this site whilst surfing for something else. There's a photo of Walter and, presumably, his wife.

Walter Merritt

Paul

Great story Chris. I think I know this chaps Great Grandson (he's in my battalion). I'll ask him about the sory.

Rgds

Tim

• 7 years later...

Not really surprising as the last post on this thread was nearly 8 years ago (!), but it's no longer possible to access Walter Merritt's story on the LLT from the link in Chris's opening post (nor by searching the site), or that given by Paul Nixon in post #6. However, reading between the lines of what's left, this must be the story of Walter Merritt who changed his surname from Schwarz to allow him to join the Royal Fusiliers and serve at the front where he gained an MC & bar (as well as two MID's), having deserted from the Australian army after being told he' be unable to serve at the front because his father was German & his mother, of German ancestry. Merritt's/Schwarz's story is now included - amongst others - in a new book, A German Tommy by Ken Anderson, and features in a short piece in today's Daily Telegraph (10th February) 'Tommy lied about his German Family to fight the Kaiser's troops'

NigelS

Gosh - that takes me back. I still have my original report on him, dated January 2004! I can't lay my hands on my client register at the moment but I recall that it was done for someone who was writing up his life story - it may well have been the author.

I have received a review copy of Ken Anderson's book and am delighted to see that I am named in the acknowledgements. So it was him! Goodness, that book has taken ten years in the making. At first glance it looks very good.

• 9 months later...

If you are interested in seeing visualisations of Merrit's experiences with the Royal Fusiliers, take a look at: Http://fmsketches.blogspot.com

Merrit / Schwarz (SPTS/4233) enrolled in 30th Royal Fusiliers just one week before Fergus Mackain (4299), and went through training at the same locations ("In Training" postcard set). Both were drafted out to France in the spring of 1916 to join 23rd RF, with a stint at 33IBD Etaples ("At the Base").

From there, their experiences diverged somewhat. Merrit was wounded in May 1916 and sent back to Blighty, while Mackain experienced the first month of The Somme campaign, being wounded at Delville Wood in late July. But it's reasonable to assume that the characters and situations in the "Up the Line" and "Out on Rest" sets would have been very recognizable to Merrit.