The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Wipers Times

CarylW

I noticed in Borders today that 'The Wipers Times' have been reprinted. Introduction by Malcolm Brown

Recently I was lucky enough to buy an old copy of the BEF Times (this incorporated the Wipers Times), facsimile bound editions reprinted in 1918 by Herbert Jenkins but this the WHOLE thing, all the editions of Wipers Times, BEF Times in one book

I have a birthday coming up so I've asked for this new reprint :)

Old Sweats will no doubt be very familiar with these but when I bought my old edition of The BEF Times recently it was the first I had read any of these newspapers printed in very difficult conditions - so maybe other newbies will now read and appreciate these gems

They are amazing. So funny, poignant, interesting, illuminating and poking fun at everything to do with life in the trenches. I've laughed and cried over the snippets

There is more about the Wipers Times in this thread:

Here but I haven't seen anyone mention it here in Book Reviews so thought I would, so now I have :)

Caryl

I have seen this book being sold cheaply in 'Sussex Stationers' in the SE of England. I thought it was an older reprint, but it is identical to the ones I have also seen in Ottakers and Waterstones, just cheaper!

Excellent book and well worth having.

I have the Papermac (MacMillan) facsimile printed in 1988.

A much recommended read.

Gloria

Notice Amazon have it for sale for 13.20p - seems very reasonable.

Don't forget to use the amazon link so the gaffer gets a few bob.

Glyn

• 6 months later...

i just came across this book at Amazon. what are the views of forum members re this new publication? Is it worth the £13 or so + postage?

Robbie

The quality of the material is superb. Very funny but also very poignant:

'Things We Want to Know.

1. - Who discovered the salient.

2. - Why.'

It reminds me so much of my Grandfather's WW1 humour.

I have to say that the style may not be to everyone's taste. It is certainly not a book to buy if you want to understand what life was like in reality, though there are lots of glimpses.

For me, the most interesting aspect of the recent edition is the information about authors, particularly about Roberts, whose note: "To John Bilham, in memory of good days, from the Editor FJ Roberts" is said to indicate that:

'Roberts was making a gesture of pride and protest: pride in what had been achieved in the war, protest against the way that the efforts of his generation were now being diminished and downgraded. I think this was Robert's last word, and explains his later, total withdrawal from the literary scene.'

Robert

i just came across this book at Amazon. what are the views of forum members re this new publication? Is it worth the £13 or so + postage?

Robbie

Oh yes!

I have the Papermac (MacMillan) facsimile printed in 1988.

Likewise - and also, recently acquired but not yet read, "The Riddles of Wipers - An Appreciation of the Trench Journal 'The Wipers Times'" by John Ivelaw-Chapman (Pen & Sword 1997), with a Foreword by John Terraine.

A companion for life for anyone who studies the Great War - the more you learn, the better you understand it.

Mick

Oh! I'll have to look at it again. I glanced recently and put it back - it looked like a lot of 'in-jokes' that I'd probably not understand. I've got a Welsh Division 'annual' and its hard to understand some of the stuff in that. Another visit...

Bernard

Likewise - and also, recently acquired but not yet read, "The Riddles of Wipers - An Appreciation of the Trench Journal 'The Wipers Times'" by John Ivelaw-Chapman (Pen & Sword 1997), with a Foreword by John Terraine.

A companion for life for anyone who studies the Great War - the more you learn, the better you understand it.

Mick

hello mick,

this book sounds very interesting. i have checked amazon, abebooks, tom morgan's books, and n+M press and can only find a couple at around £24. Where did you obtain your copy?

Robbie

hello mick,

this book sounds very interesting. i have checked amazon, abebooks, tom morgan's books, and n+M press and can only find a couple at around £24. Where did you obtain your copy?

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

I got mine from a local second-hand bookseller for £8. I won't get round to reading it for a while, 'cos I've got 'German Anzacs' :D and 'Imperial Germany' to read first, so I'd be happy to lend it to you. PM me your postal address - it'll give me a chance to try out the new postal system.

Mick

that's very kind of you Mick. I will order myself a copy in the next week or so.

Thanks anyway.

Robbie :P

• 2 weeks later...

Stephanie,

You should have used the forum link to Amazon and earnt yourself a discount and the forum running costs a small cut.

It is one of those volumes you can keep dipping in to but it does help to have some form of glossary. Try and borrow a copy of John Ivelaw-Chapman's book (see above) as it will help with some of the deciphering and context. The humour tells us much about the soldier and the territory.

If you wan tto look at another trench gazette as a comparison, you could try and borrow (library?) a copy of the Fifth Gloucester Gazette reprint. It's a bit more serious but equally worthy and you will find poems and writings by Ivor Gurney and F W Harvey amongst the content.

Gallipoli afficionados may want to search out "The Anzac Book" which is a collection of humour, writing, cartoons etc which Charles Bean had a hand in assembling and whose content is not wholly sources from Aussie troops - the 4th Northants make at least one appearance.

and you can find the basics for about five 'blackadder goes forth' scripts in the first two editions!!

• 11 months later...

As someone has said, as you gain more knowledge, you will pick up more of the references. A must have book, I think. It will give you an insight into the humour and mind set of the men who held Ypres.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

It's back, and in Stewart Millers in Newtownards for £5.99. That's a great price compared with the £25 jacket price.

If anyone wants one, let me know.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi,

It's back, and in Stewart Millers in Newtownards for £5.99. That's a great price compared with the £25 jacket price.

If anyone wants one, let me know.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel

bring one in march cheers matey

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there Nigel,

If you still have room in your back pack,could I have one as well please.

Cheers Roger.