The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SOUTH WALES BORDERERS IN CHINA

Chris Best

A neighbour has shown me a letter from a soldier whose address was:

Band 2SWB

British Infantry Barracks

TientsinNorth China

Via Siberia

The letter is not dated but, using the Long Long Trail I deduce he was there in 1914 early 1915; the soldier was KIA in Nov 18 serving with 6 SWB.

The letter says:

". . . I am very glad the War is ended and I only hope we will not be troubled with these Chinese out here and have another Revolution like they had this time 12 months ago"

What war? What revolution? What was the size and role of the British Garrison in China at that time?

Any clues?

Cheers

Chris Best

What was the size and role of the British Garrison in China at that time?

Cheers

Chris Best

Chris

Tien Tsin at this time was divided up between colonial powers for the purposes of trade.

Besides British involvement many nations had troops in Tien Tsin. There was a French Concession, an Italian Concession, a Japanese Concession etc.

Not sure of numbers, but I would imagine about a battalion plus 'odds and sods'.

Tien Tsin was where some of the Allied Intervention Forces gathered prior to going to Siberia at the end of WW1.

One of my great uncles returned to Italy from London in 1915. After being wounded fighting the Austro-Hungarians he was sent to garrison Italian East Africa. From there he was sent, via Singapore, to China. From Tien Tsin he was sent to Siberia.

A search might find the photos that I posted, and the questions that I asked, in this forum a couple of years ago.

Just back in from a beer. Thanks for that Davie, it's probably about as much info as she'll need. Thanks to you, too, Beppo, I'll try a search as you suggest in a couple of days' time when next I log in.

I'd also posted a question about the soldier's seniority, based on his regimental number, on the Soldiers Board but it seems to have disappeared - perhaps some Moderator decided I was taking 2 bites at the cherry. So, I'll pose the question here.

My man's number was 2/8239. In 1914 he was a Lance Corporal with 2 SWB's Band.

At the time of his death 4 years later he was a Private. According to CWGC he died 2 Nov 18 a member of 6 Bn SWB. According to SDGW he 'Died' 1 Nov 18, a member of 1 SWB. Both records show he retained the same number as above.

Any clues as to probable enlistment date and type of enlistment?

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Tien Tsin was where some of the Allied Intervention Forces gathered prior to going to Siberia at the end of WW1.

One of my great uncles returned to Italy from London in 1915. After being wounded fighting the Austro-Hungarians he was sent to garrison Italian East Africa. From there he was sent, via Singapore, to China. From Tien Tsin he was sent to Siberia.

I found this pic on a floppy disc tonight. This was taken at Tien Tsin in China in 1918. The man with the book is my great uncle on his way to Siberia, where he was involved in the Russian Civil War.

Although he returned to Italy for WW1 he had lived most of his life in England. Some time ago I posted another photo of him in this forum. He had been wounded and was in a military hospital in Rome. He was reading the "Daily Mirror".

post-1110-1140638230.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I found this pic on a floppy disc tonight. This was taken at Tien Tsin in China in 1918. The man with the book is my great uncle on his way to Siberia, where he was involved in the Russian Civil War.

Although he returned to Italy for WW1 he had lived most of his life in England. Some time ago I posted another photo of him in this forum. He had been wounded and was in a military hospital in Rome. He was reading the "Daily Mirror".

Cheers, Beppo an fascinating family background. Have you been able to follow great uncle's footsteps (literaly or figuratively)?

Apologies for delay acknowledging - away from PC for a couple of weeks with family in West Riding and in Normandy. Off to Somme tomorrow for a week. Whoopee!

Nobody's been able to assiste with SWB history of my man leading this thread. :(

Chris

• 2 months later...

I must try and keep up to date with the Forum - old age is galloping up on me!

The Public Records Office publishes a guide to "Army Service Records of the First World War" written by William Spencer. Included in the publication is a facsimile copy of a hand written report of the capture of Tsing Tau by 2 South Wales Borderers.

Whilst difficult to read this gives a fascinating insight into a periphera area.

Co-incidentialy, Tsing Tao (now renamed) is the venue for the sailing competitions in the next Olympic Games (as well as being the source of an excellent Chinese Beer)

Regards

Peter