The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ben-My-Chree

Dave G

I have two books written by personnel serving aboard the Ben-My-Chree, a passenger ferry converted to a seaplane carrier by the Royal Navy and used in operations in the Dardanelles. The books are Charles Samson's "Fights and Flights" and William Wedgewood Benn's "In the Sideshows". Does anyone know of other books written by others serving on the Ben-My-Chree?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

William Wedgewood Benn's "In the Sideshows". Does anyone know of other books written by others serving on the Ben-My-Chree?

Dave

Dave

I can't answer your question.

However, you might like to know that William Wedgewood Benn, later Viscount Stansgate, was the father of Tony Benn.

Dave,

I did some research on a Manxman who was killed on Snaefell, which was a sister ship to Ben-My-Chree. As you probably know both were owned by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. I used a book the Life and Times of the Steam Packet which includes a chapter on the Great War. Although not a first hand account it does refer to the Steam Packet ships in service. This maybe of use.

Regards,

Spud

• 8 years later...

A little late I know, but my biography of Ben-my-Chree is still available.

Please contact me and I will be pleased to put you in touch with the publisher.post-91472-0-49113100-1399041557_thumb.j